Must see/do in Barbados!

Search

Must see/do in Barbados!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see/do in Barbados!

Anyone that has been to Barbados have some must see/must do things they would like to recommend? Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Some of my faves - Oistens Friday night fish fry, Harrison's Caves, Tiami Catamaran sail, watching the kiteboarding/windsurfing off Silver Rocks beach on the south coast,east coast drive with lunch at the Roundhouse, Bajan Roots and Rhythm show at the Plantation (touristy but fun) - depends on your interests but there is LOTS more to do, these are just a start.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Bottom Bay Beach!
It's the beach always featured in postcards.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Definitely go to Oistens Friday night fish fry. Exceptional food and a fun time. We also took a bus over to Bathsheba - the Atlantic side of the island with big rocks that the sea has eroded. A gorgous area. Several restaurants in the area. Also we enjoyed going to Earthworks pottery for some treasures.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Harrison's Cave, Andromeda Gardens, Francia Plantation, Sunbury Plantation, and one of nature's gifts to the world, Flower Forest (a visitor once wrote in their guest book, "If I owned Paradise and Flower Forest, I'd rent out Paradise and live in Flower Forest.&quot See www.barbados.org
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:04 AM

In addition to the others mentioned, I would highly recommend going to the Barbados Wildlife Reserve. Go around 3 PM when the park puts out food for the wild monkeys, and watch them all come running in from the fields to eat and stay in the safety of the reserve for the night. We stayed in the park for a while watching the monkeys and they actually became familiar & comfortable with us that a couple of them even got close enough to touch us! Truly a neat experience!!
Also, definitely do Oistins fish fry on Friday nights-it doesn't really get busy until later in the night, so prepare yourself to stay out until at least 1 or 2 so that you can experience the "real" Barbados!
If you're there on a Wed. I would highly recommend going to the Bajan Roots & Rhythm dinner show. My husband thought I was crazy for wanting to go to this, figuring it was a dinner show like we have here (and thus, boring or only for "older" folks - we're in our 30's), but it was a GREAT time!! Lots of rum punch, good food, great entertainment! Book online before you go and they offer a discount (10-15% I think)
Copy & paste this link: https://ssl.commercebox.com/~axses/t...servations.htm

Have fun! I wish I was going!!!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies! We will definitely have to check out some of these things. The Bajan Roots & Rhythm dinner show looks wonderful, we'll definitely have to check it out!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 04:20 AM

One of our favourite things is to spend the day at Mullins Bay (west coast) in front of Mannie's Suga Suga bar/restaurant. on their loungers. Order anything you like, food is wonderful as is the beach and if you are lucky enough to be there at sunset it's terrific.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I've been looking at these lunch catamaran trips. Leave at 10:00, return at 3:00....snorkle with turtles, ship wreck, etc. Has anyone ever done one of these before and can recommend?

Anyone have additional ideas? Thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM

This is the same itinerary that the Tiami has and that we went on. It's a fun trip; the snorkeling is only mediocre but the turtles kind of make up for it (for me anyway). They were a treat. The food is surprisingly very good (even though we didn't eat that much - we try not to overdo it for lunch) and the drinks were good with premium liquor. It was enjoyable.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

Oh - and I'll add the Orchid Farm.....very, very nice. And I'll second the Wildlife Reserve.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:15 PM

I am going to Barbados in February. This is my third trip. I met some wonderful people and visit them every year. Definitely do Oistens and Earthworks. Wonderful restaurants are Champs and South Sea. Go to St. Lawrence Gap at night where all the nightlife is. On Sunday afternoons, the locals go to Crystal Waters. It's a beach bar and you can get a barbeque right there. The local band plays there and they are great. If you need a tour guide or a pick up at the airport, I use Tyrone and I'll give you his number if you like.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Lizzie518,

Thanks for your reply. The Tiami is actually the exact one we are looking at doing. Thanks for your advice!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

I just read someone elses post about the Tiami that stated the following...doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun based on what this person writes...can anyone confirm their description?

Tiami

It rained every day we were there but one. Hence, we did the Tiami in the rain. However they didn't use the Tiami boat (which holds 100 people). Several times a week they use the smaller Spirit. Dont waste your money! This boat was way too small for the 32 people they packed on it and they let people smoke all over the boat. My options were to sit outside in the cold rain or inside w/ no view (the covered part of the boat isn't level with the rest so you cant see anything) and breathe smoke.

Bc of the rain they went to Carlyle bay instead of folkstone. So I got a lovely view of smokestacks, cranes and other industrial type equipment on shore for most of the trip. The turtles was fun but there were 30 people competing for THREE turtles. Carlyle shipwrecks are interesting but I would have preferred a reef.

THe food was mediocre and my friend threw up right after the trip and I developed diarrhea and cramping so you tell me. If I had to do it over I'd go with Small Cats bc they only let 12 people go out on each trip. This is a cattle boat mainly for people who want to drink and smoke - in fact several of them never left the boat. I cant believe I blew $70 on this floating bar.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:42 AM

Well, I think you have to at least realize that this person's review was clouded (pun intended) by the adverse weather. I would not have chosen to go on this trip in the rain. But that's me.

The Tiami has several different boats of varying size based on how many they can accommodate. We chose one of the larger ones, but we could have easily chosen a smaller ship. We did not have a problem with overcrowding, but then again we all weren't vying for the same "dry" space. If memory serves there were three stops: a shipwreck, the turtles, and the beach at Sandy Lane. It was nice to see Sandy Lane's beach (beautiful), and the turtles were amazing. I was not overcome by the people competing for THREE turtles. I think we may have only had three turtles as well, but it was still amazing and they came very close to me on a few occasions. As I said before, the snorkeling is only mediocre. My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and drink, although we did not over-imbibe on either. Nor did the boat become a drunk-fest. We had a pleasant experience. The crew was also enjoyable and outgoing.

I have read other reviews where people recommend another operation for a more intimate experience, but I cannot remember the names. I am sure that other expert Fodorites will help with that if you are a bit wary about the Tiami. Good Luck.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM

I know I have been spoiled by daysails with Passion and Friendship Rose in the Grenadines but was persuaded to go on Tiami anyway on a recent trip to Barbados.

I have to agree with Lizzie's assessment. Booking through our hotel, it only cost $50US per person - not $70, and that included taxi rides to and from the port, mimosa and fishcakes on arrival, surprisingly good lunch, as well as the open bar and supplying the snorkelling gear.

The boat was just big enough to accommodate everyone but not necessarily in the shade. I did not like having to wear a snorkelling vest but I understand the rationale. The snorkelling was dull but the turtles made up for it.

Would I go again - no - but once was OK and good value at the price.

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned Sunday brunch at the Crane on the east coast. We took the bus there and it was fabulous. The location of the hotel, perched high over the ocean is spectacular.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:46 AM

ttt