Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which all-inclusive for March trip. 4 families, each with 1 or 2 kids........ (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-all-inclusive-for-march-trip-4-families-each-with-1-or-2-kids-126992/)

zutmin May 30th, 2001 04:02 AM

Which all-inclusive for March trip. 4 families, each with 1 or 2 kids........

Planning a trip to the Carribean for March 2002 and would like some feedback on the following: <BR> <BR>We are considering these moderately priced all-inclusives: <BR>Allegro Turks & Caicos <BR>Allegro Pineapple Beach, Antigua <BR>Jack Tar Village, St Kitts <BR>Club St Lucia <BR>Beach Club Colony, Grand Cayman <BR>Almond Beach Village, Barbados <BR> <BR>Budget is probably around 4,000-5,000all-inclusive including air) per family for 7-10 days. <BR> <BR>My travel companions seem to be sold on St Kitts. It looks like a beautiful island but the research I have done recently indicates the Jack Tar is definitely below-average in most respects. Not on the beach, construction going on, rough surf at the Atlantic Beach, not-so-clear water at Carribean beach, so-so rooms, barely aveage buffet. Is this really true? I'd like some more opinions if possible. I'm leaning toward Turks and Caicos, Grand Cayman and St Lucia. <BR>We are looking for GREAT beaches (for swimming, snorkeling and lounging), a resort that is ON the beach, clean rooms and friendly resort staff. I know what to expect for food in a moderate all-inclusive so I can live w/ most buffet selections. <BR>Which islands/resorts are safest and which have hiking/sightseeing and scenic landscapes. <BR> <BR>Any and all suggestions are welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Keith

zutmin May 30th, 2001 10:04 AM

Anyone???

Erica May 30th, 2001 03:32 PM

Hi Keith, <BR> <BR>I've been to the Jack Tar in SK several times. I happen to love the island and the resort. While it is not a 5 star resort, it is very nice with large, clean rooms overlooking a lagoon, the pool or the golf course. The food has really improved since I first started going. There are always several selections, so it is hard not to find something everyone will like. They serve hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos and pizza by the pool all day to appease the kids. For breakfast, you can order omelettes, waffles, pancakes and eggs to order. For dinner, you can either eat the buffet or go to Caruso's, a sit down italian restaurant (no charge). <BR> <BR>The construction across the street from the resort never bothered us. If you book, ask them for a room overlooking the activities pool or lagoon and you will be assured of not being near the construction. <BR> <BR>There are many activities planned all day long so you can participate as much/little as you want. The kids also have activities planned for them. The activities staff is wonderful. They will make your stay very pleasant. <BR> <BR>While the resort is not on the beach, the Atlantic is a very short walk away. It can be very rough. I don't like the Caribbean beach near the resort myself (black sand, rocky, murkey water). A short drive away is South Friar's Beach, which is a public beach. It is one of the best beaches I have ever been on. You can rent a two chairs and an umbrella for about $2.50US. <BR> <BR>I have been to Antigua, Grand Cayman and St. Lucia as well, and St. Kitts is still my favorite. It is smaller and less developed, but still developed enough to not feel deprived. <BR> <BR>If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email. <BR> <BR>Erica <BR>

Judy May 31st, 2001 09:14 AM

I am off to Allegro Turks and Caicos this Saturday and will post feedback when I return. I do know however that at the end of the year this particular Allegro location will become a Club Med for families. People I know who have travelled all over the world have said the beached in T&C are the most beautiful. It is a big draw for people who are into scuba and snorkeling. <BR>In any case, I'd be happy to fill you in when I get back.

eileen May 31st, 2001 09:28 AM

I was in Provo in April. Did not stay at Allegro but visited there and thought it looked pretty good. Yes, the beach is spectacular, the rest of the island not very pretty but if you are going for the beach and the water -- go! By the way, lots of people go to the Beaches all-inclusive there and seem to love it but I was not impressed at all and I can't believe the prices. The Allegro seemed to be a much better value and I think it has a nicer beach.

Penney May 31st, 2001 04:26 PM

While I have not been to Jack Tar, we have been to Turks andit is a beautiful island but extremely quiet, especially for childrn so if looking for things off the resort, look else wheres. <BR> <BR>Turks and Caicos does have the most beautiful beacah that you will ever see and we did get a peak at Allegro (stayed at Beaches and it was wonderful!). The resort looked ok - a bad run down looking but they were dping some work when we saw it. Turks too, however, is an extremely quiet area - last of the true desert islands, there is literally nothing to do off the resort.