Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which 2 islands out of these 3 should we go to for our honeymoon?

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to the Caribbean for our honeymoon at the end of April/ beginning of May in 2012. We will be spending two weeks in the Caribbean, a week on two islands. We have narrowed it down to St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua. Out of those three islands which two should we go to? We are interested in beautiful beaches, and amazing food. We want to go fishing and do water activities, as well as relaxing on the beaches and enjoying our vacation. So a mixture of activities and relaxing with great cuisine is our overall goal.

As far as budget, we will not be paying for our flights or rooms (that will be covered by our families as a wedding gift) so not worrying about budget which two islands are the best? And is it easy to travel from all three of these islands to eachother?

The only other islands we are considering are Bonaire and Curacao. Would you recommend doing these two over any of the three islands? I would love your help and any comments will help us make this decision. Thank you so much!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM

The answer is going to be the same as when you posted a similar question last week. Barbados and St. Lucia. Both are great islands and quite different from each other so you'll get two very different experiences. Both have everything you are seeking. I'd rate both as A or A+ islands.

Antigua is just OK - rate it at best a B. It has nice beaches - the tourist bureau will tell you it has 365 different ones but while that may be true many are very small and difficult to access. The island is not noted for great food.

Skip Bonaire unless you are really into diving/snorkeling (which are top notch) but the beaches leave a lot to be desired. It's not an attractive island and doesn't have the gourmet food you are looking for.

Curacao is a bit better than Bonaire but compared to St. Lucia and Barbados it's a distant third.

Yes, it's relatively easy to travel between Barbados and St. Lucia. It's also relatively easy to get between Antigua and Barbados or St. Lucia. Getting to Bonaire or Curacao from any of those islands is a bit of a challenge.

As I said before (and as others have recommended in their replies to your other thread) Barbados and St. Lucia are your best bets given the criteria you listed.

Enjoy your honeymoon.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
KVR

If you chose Barbados there are 2 companies in which you can make arrangements to visit other Islands like St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada for either day trips or for extended over night trips. I have been looking into it for a future vacation.

www.chantours.com and [email protected]

When we went to Curacao, we flew to Aruba on Continental and then took Insel air to Curacao. They also fly to Bonaire. I agree with RoamsAround on their accessment of Curacao. It was not one of our favorite choices. We loved St. Lucia.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! I was pretty sure on St. Lucia/Barbados, but kept hearing really good things about Antigua. But after your input and researching further, I am going to book those two islands. Thank you for your feedback and help, I appreciate it so much!!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Oh and RoamsAround do you recommend any great restaurants in either St. Lucia or Barbados, or anything that we MUST do while there?
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 03:41 AM

St. Lucia is not known for beautiful beaches (coarse sand, earth color). If your priority is the beaches, try Antigua along with Barbados. Antigua is not as physically beautiful as St. Lucia. BTW, because Barbados is so much more interesting, it is worth more time there than the other island.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:18 AM

I disagree a bit with xkenx - yes, it's true that St. Lucia's beaches have darker sand (that's because it's a volcanic base island) but the palm tree beaches are very picturesque. Now, if you define a beautiful beach as having white sand then xkenx is correct but, in my experience, darker sand beaches can be every bit as attractive. St. Lucia is far lusher and prettier than Antigua which makes up for the difference. I still stand by my earlier comment that Antigua is a "B" island in a sea of "A" islands.

Also, to comment on Michelle's restaurant question - St. Lucia is a large island (around 250 sq. miles in area) so it would help to know where you are planning to stay in order for contributors to recommend places close by as it is not practical to drive from one end of St. Lucia to the other just for a meal. Not quite as problematic on Barbados (168 sq. miles) but still a concern.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM
KVR

For "must do's", we did the Land and Sea tour, which took us to see the Pitons, the botanical gardens, the volcano, and Diamond Falls then we went snorkeling. We also did a jeep tour to a banana plantation, and a different gorgeous waterfall and a black sand beach for swimming.

This link will give you a good idea of thing to see and do in St. Lucia:

http://www.sunlinktours.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow all of that information has helped me out a ton!! I will definitely be booking the Land and Sea Tour, thank you so much KVR. And RoamsAround, as soon as I know exactly where we'll be staying I'll let you know so I can get further information on where to go and what to see. Thanks so much!!