Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where's my beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/wheres-my-beach-196606/)

Dean Oct 17th, 2001 03:39 PM

Where's my beach?

Please help me! We have to take a vacation in early December but I can't find OUR beach. Maybe OUR beach is YOUR beach too. Where is this place: <BR> <BR>- It's on a calm, peaceful bay <BR>- There is over a quarter mile of clean white sand <BR>- The beach is lined with palm trees <BR>- There are very few people on the beach, sometimes none and very few kids(hopefully none.) <BR>- The water is crystal clear. <BR>- There is great snorkling from the beach <BR>- Better snorkling and good diving is just a short boat ride away <BR>- Our room is on the beach or we can easily see the water from our veranda/balcony <BR>- The room is clean, attractive and the owners have a sense of style and attention to detail <BR>- Phone, TV, minibar and etc are unnecessary <BR>- It has dependable water and electricity, air conditioning if necessary <BR>- There are no jet skis, parasailing or activity directors. <BR>- Rain is unlikely, but brief when it does. <BR> <BR>Have you been there? Please tell me where is. <BR> <BR>Dean <BR> <BR> <BR>

e Oct 17th, 2001 03:59 PM

Hawksnest Beach(Oppenheimer side), St. John, USVI

Albert Oct 17th, 2001 04:12 PM

Sounds great! What are the hotel choices on that beach?

Becca Oct 17th, 2001 04:31 PM

I second the vote for St. John, USVI. Stay in a premium room on Scott's Beach at the Caneel Bay resort. This resort and beach has everything you requested and more. Check out www.caneelbay.com

tourist Oct 17th, 2001 04:33 PM

Ten Bay Beach, Sahannah Sound, Eleuthera Bahamas. For accommodations.... visit www.bahamasvacationguide.com

Sandy Oct 17th, 2001 04:35 PM

You just desribed Grand Anse beach in Grenada. But then, you also described almost any white sand beach in the Caribbean!

d motl Oct 17th, 2001 04:38 PM

Akumal--located about 60 miles south of Cancun. Stay at Las Casitas Akumal. <BR>1-800-5akumal. Also visit locogringo.com

thepolice Oct 17th, 2001 04:40 PM

Anybody else get the feeling Dean already has some place in mind? Hmmmmm..... This wouldn't be another USVI setup would it??? (The not needing A/C and the not necessary to be on the beach tipped me off!)

Dean Oct 17th, 2001 04:49 PM

I forgot to mention: it would be nice if it room was under $300US. I don't that's St John and my wife doesn't camp

xxxx Oct 17th, 2001 06:55 PM

There is a new 2 unit condo right on Oppenheimer Beach, I don't know how much it is but I would guess under $300. Besides a house that has been there for years, it's the only thing on the beach. I would check with SJ tourist info for details. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for. GOod Luck !!

Louis Oct 17th, 2001 06:58 PM

Based on your last message, Akumal is something to be seriously considered. Years ago it was one of our top choices. We don't know what it is like today. However, the price should be right, they raked the beach each day and the snorkeling was a ball just off of the beach. There are several places in that area now and it is called the Mexican Riviera. However it is not Cancun which is to be avoided based on your criteria. There you are very near wonderful pre-Columbian ruins so it can be a cultural and historical experience also. Give it serious consideration. For the past 40 years we have searched for the place you request and have not found it yet with everything and the search includes, Fiji, French Polynesia, most of the Caribbean and some of the Bahama area. We have spent time in areas that range from $800 a day to $100 a day over the years. When we went to Caneel Bay and Little Dix it was $135/day for everything and neither has not changed much the last time we looked them over.

tweedy Oct 17th, 2001 08:06 PM

Dean, you can borrow my beach anytime. It is exactly as you described. I am there whenever we can get away, and it is a slice of paradise. <BR> <BR>Harbour Island, Bahamas, the only difference is the sand is pink. <BR> <BR>Try www.runwayhill.com to see pictures of our favorite place to stay. I have been going there since 1986. Great food, nice people, very laid back and right in your $ range too. <BR> <BR>Have a GREAT time. <BR> <BR>tweedy

xxx Oct 17th, 2001 09:00 PM

Caneel Bay in St. John is exactly what you're looking for. It's said to be the finest Caribbean experince money can buy. They have an "Unwind Package" that includes an aromatherapy welcome gift, watercolor painting lessons, and 2 self centre lesson. Check it out at www.caneelbay.com

Emily Oct 19th, 2001 08:13 AM

Hawksnest Beach @Caneel Bay, St.James Club, Antigua, Sandals, Antigua, Hawksbill, Antigua....the most peaceful. <BR> <BR>Hotel Intercontinental, Cozumel....great value and fabulous snorkeling .....

joan Oct 19th, 2001 06:58 PM

Dean, I've been there, but the beach you describe is not at a resort. As tourist said, it's at a beautiful beach house on Eleuthera. We once rented a modern home with a working lighthouse! (Split with another couple) Another time rented a cottage for 2 with kayak and bikes. Beaches had little palapa huts, each homeowner makes their own (or homerenter in our case!) Sand was pink, like Harbour Island (so flattering). Snorkeling was great, all over the island and in front of both homes. Very affordable too. <BR>

Scott Oct 20th, 2001 05:57 AM

Since when can you stay at Caneel Bay for under $300???