Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where would you go for your anniversary--In November?

Jul 7th, 1998, 02:47 AM
Karyn

We would like to spend about a week for our 10th anniversary. Ideally, we would like to go somewhere that is relatively quiet and secluded, but has great beaches, beautiful scenery and has lots to do. I know nothing about the carribean, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Jul 7th, 1998, 04:37 AM
LAE

For your 10th anniversary, you need to look for something extremely intimate and romantic. Do you prefer all-inclusive or pay as you go in a resort? Many of the all-inclusive resorts specialize in romance and have lots to do at resort (all included, including wonderful eating and drinking)with lots of secluded little spots. Some are Sandals, Couples, Swept Away, Grand Lido or SanSouci. Most of these are in Jamaica...which some love and others seem to be warry of. We are staying at a Sandals resort in St. Lucia for our honeymoon in September. If you aren't one for all-inclusive resorts, look into resorts on Barbados....lots of shopping, natural beauty, gorgeous beaches, etc. What island you pick depends alot on what you mean by "lots to do". If you are more a beach person...the quiet islands like St. Lucia, B.V.Islands, Grenada are perfect, but if you are more into historical tours and shopping, then consider Barbados, St. Marten, St. Thomas. Hope this helps.

Jul 7th, 1998, 01:08 PM
Patti

St. John's in the U.S. Virgin Islands is beautiful and the people were friendly. If you want more excitement you can hop the public ferry to St. Thomas.
Be advised that many islands in the caribbean are not lush and tropical, more arrid than anything. Also, you will see alot of poverty and the people are really layed back. They have a different lifestyle and some don't move as fast as they do in the states. Go to the library or search the net and research each island. I did not like Antiqua at all.

Jul 26th, 1998, 04:55 AM
PP

Check out the island of Tortola in the BVI's.
It is just great. Please contact me for more info.

Aug 22nd, 1998, 08:51 AM
Eleanor

Karyn,
My husband & I adore Aruba. The people are friendly and accomodating, the resorts are exceptional and theres plenty to do if laying around the pool or beach is not your bag. Our 20th anniversary is Nov. 23 so we'll think of you too!