Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

where to travel for 50th birthday with family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are a family of 5 with 3 kids ages 12 - 17 from nyc area and are trying to plan a get-away to celebrate a 50th birthday that falls in december. the kids are off from school over christmas and new years so were hoping to go 3-7 days over that time period.

a few places we have mulled over = turks and caicos (beaches resort booked or extremely expensive during that holiday week so doesn't really work), san diego and san francisco (to see monarch butterflies and whales), and new orleans (for great food, city lit up at christmas etc), but are still feeling stuck on what is the best place to go.

we can go either way = relaxation at beach resort or a place with culture, sights and/or activities. overall, we are looking for a fun and memorable time that is low stress as far as getting there. i do not think anything super adventurous or super far would work.

please share your opinion and input - we want to get this planned in advance to avoid hotels and/or airlines booking up. thank you so much for your help in this big decision! open to any and all ideas - thanks -
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Christmas/New Years is the most expensive week of the year in the Carribean so don't expect to find any bargains. Plus many places have minimum stay requirements so finding something for less than a week could prove to be difficult. Finally, many place are booked almost a year in advance so that too could limit your choices (sorry but you are not really early in your planning).
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM
KVR

Traveling to the Caribbean during that time span is super expensive. I think you would find better prices with less difficulty in the US instead.

We just returned from our 2nd trip to New Orleans in April. Your right, they have fabulous food. The best actually and lots of cultural things to see and do that are appropriate for kids and teens.

We went to the zoo and aquarium, the mall, and did a city and restaurant tour. I was so amazed by the architecture. We have previously done a swamp tour and riverboat cruise and I would love to go back and see the amazing WWII museum and do a plantation tour.

If you're interested, I did a trip report that includes a pic link on this site. Just click on my user name.

Check the Trip Advisor forums for family vacations in New Orleans. Lots of really great info.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Branson is actually pretty reasonable. Lot's to do and it has a great Christmas theme going on.

I live in San Diego. There is a ton to do here, and weather is almost always nice in December. (not beach, but upper 60's low 70's-cold at night) Zoo, SEa World, Legoland, Old Town, SAfari Park, Bike Riding, Bay cruise, Take a jaunt up to Disneyland (it's nuts but fun). The Kona Kai is a good priced/location hotel.

If you want beach, Club Med Ixtapa is a GREAT family resort, and you get a lot for your money. Flights are tough to ZIH, but have you TRavel AGent help you! Don't plan this on your own-Travel Agents usually do this all for no fee.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:48 AM

If you go to the Caribbean during that time I would focus on islands to the south of Puerto Rico. In other words avoid the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos since the weather is iffy...the water might be a bit cold for swimming. I would hate to pay sky high prices and not be guaranteed warm weather.