Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to take trip in July 2019 (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-take-trip-in-july-2019-a-1666547/)

Blueeyedgirl May 1st, 2019 09:08 AM

Where to take trip in July 2019

We are 2 couples late 50's, live in Dallas Texas and wanting to escape the heat and go to a beach place that offers, good food, a town to explore, golf, and snorkling. People have mentioned St. Kitts, Belize, Honduras and Grenada. We are thinking a week and would like to keep it around 5K a couple, flying from DFW. We usually rent a house with 2 King bedrooms, but would be willing to do an adult resort.

suze May 1st, 2019 09:18 AM

My first thought is you need to check the weather if you are seeking to "escape the heat". I did a very quick check of the places you mentioned and they're all in the high 80's that time of year... same as Dallas :-)

melproffit May 1st, 2019 10:05 AM

St Lucia, Roatan Island, Turks & Caicos all have great beaches,resorts and culture. Belize is not great for much IMO except just sitting on the beach

Odin May 1st, 2019 11:11 AM

Barbados has great beaches on the west coast, has golf courses, a bit of snorkelling but not as good as T&C or other islands, has historical sites and towns that you can walk around. But July is hot, humid and possibly wet as is alot of the Caribbean at that time of the year however you do have the sea to cool off in. Not sure if you can fly to Barbados from DFW, Grenada is also a good option but will have the same sort of weather.

Daniel_Williams May 1st, 2019 07:08 PM

Belize I agree is not great to escape the heat, but I disagree with the opinion that it’s only good for sitting on the beach. With numerous Mayan temples on the mainland, an incredible coral reef for snorkeling with schools if gorgeous fish right off Caye Caulker and opportunities to see many fascinating animals in their natural habitat (such as the howler monkey), I found the country a fascinating and enjoyable destination. And I only did a fraction of the activities the small Central American nation offers!

schmerl May 2nd, 2019 04:49 AM

All the places you mention will be about as warm as Dallas. Why not go north if you want to beat the heat? Maine is beautiful in the summer.

RoamsAround May 2nd, 2019 06:22 AM

Having lived in the DFW area for 25+ years I know hot brutally hot Texas can get in July. For 15+ of those years we routinely escaped the Texas heat by going to our home in the Caribbean. True, temps were in the mid-to-high 80's F. but it definitely was better that the 100+ F. days back in the DFW Metroplex however, I agree with others you don't go to the Caribbean in summer to "escape the heat". True be told, the humidity in the Caribbean can be high during the summer so you'll be sweating almost as much as back in Texas.

If you want to escape the Texas heat go north, not south.

blaire25 May 2nd, 2019 08:09 AM

Barbados is great. But also check the weather based on the time you wanna travel.

ashleytyson Jul 9th, 2019 04:12 AM

There is a lot to do in Grand Cayman Islands such as stingray city, snorkeling, bioluminescence, fishing, private charters, paddle boarding, crystal caves, local food tour, scuba diving, kittiwake, starfish point, bike rental, hell, island safari, helicopter tour, turtle farm. Among all this, I had an experience of snorkeling, fishing, paddle boarding, and turtle farm that was a fantastic tour.

Odin Jul 9th, 2019 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ashleytyson (Post 16950418)
There is a lot to do in Grand Cayman Islands such as stingray city, snorkeling, bioluminescence, fishing, private charters, paddle boarding, crystal caves, local food tour, scuba diving, kittiwake, starfish point, bike rental, hell, island safari, helicopter tour, turtle farm. Among all this, I had an experience of snorkeling, fishing, paddle boarding, and turtle farm that was a fantastic tour.

Grand Cayman is one of the hottest places I’ve been to, I can only manage to endure the heat if I go in November or Feb. It’s not a good suggestion for July for people to want to escape the heat.