Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to stay that's family-friendly, has golf and upscale service? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-stay-thats-family-friendly-has-golf-and-upscale-service-697236/)

oliviamc Apr 15th, 2007 09:44 PM

Where to stay that's family-friendly, has golf and upscale service?

We've stayed at many Ritz-Carltons and Four Seasons and would like to expect that kind of service from where we go this time in May. While my husband prefers mega resorts, I would like to really try more exclusive and low-key places that is also kid/family-friendly. This might be an oxymoron, since it doesn't seem easy to find smaller hotels that offer a kids program (so far I've found that Grace Bay Club in Turks & Caicos does). We're travelling with some family and friends (10 people) so we're open to hotel villas (which I've never experienced). Ideally, we'd prefer a beach-front resort with a spa, great restaurants, golf and shopping. So I'm also looking into the Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman. Any other recommendations? We've already been to Nevis, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico.Thanks for your help!

oliviamc Apr 15th, 2007 09:45 PM

by the way, I my children's ages are 2 and 5.

emcash Apr 16th, 2007 04:03 AM

I've never been, but I've heard that the Four Seasons in Nevis is wonderful with great golf. They have rooms and villas. As you probably know, FS has the "kids for all seasons" program, but i'm not sure what the age requirement is for that (i think it is 5).

We just got back from anguilla and stayed at Cap Juluca (which i would not recommend for kids that age) but while there we visited Cuisinart and they seemed to be very kid-friendly. you could look at their website to see if they have a kids' program. Anguilla now has a greg norman golf course on the grounds of the St. Regis (which is still under construction). it looked gorgeous, but is something like 450 a round.

In the Bahamas the One and only Ocean Club is pretty spectacular -- more exclusive-- and if i'm not mistaken, you can share all the amenities of Atlantis (mega mega mega resort) next door. They have a shuttle that goes back and forth-- at least they did 5 years ago, but you could check that out as well). Good luck and have a great time!

Tuxedocat Apr 16th, 2007 08:55 AM

St. Croix offers good golfing and substantially sized resorts. You could look into the bigger ones like Carambola (right on a golf course), Buccaneer's and Divi. Of course, Bermuda has great possibilities too but is pricier.

marymarra Apr 16th, 2007 12:23 PM

look at Half Moon in Jamaica and see if it is too big for you; it has beautiful villas and a nice kids program.

Also, I just went to Turks and Caicos and saw the kids club at Grace Bay Club and it looked great; we stayed at Ocean Club which was perfect with smaller kids, but not luxury. Also, there is only one golf course on T & C if that makes a difference and there really is no shopping to speak of; it is, however, a beautiful and relaxing place.

Hope this helps,

Mary

P.S. The Buccaneer is a good suggestion, but more country club in atmosphere and less Ritz and Four Seasons. It is, however, smaller and has a good kids club.

Julia_E Apr 16th, 2007 05:21 PM

I agree with the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons recommendations. My family travel clients always enjoy their stay at those resorts.

You mignt also consider The Palms in Turks & Caicos and in the Bahamas, there is the Atlantis and the Four Seasons Resort Great Exuma. In Barbados, consider the Fairmont Royal Pavilion and Sandy Lane. Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic is also very popular with happy guests.

Have a great day!
Julia

beachbum2 Apr 17th, 2007 05:55 AM

I would agree with the one and only as you get full privledges at Atlantis. Atlantis has the coves which are exclusive. If you don't want to pay as much and be in villa, harborview at Atlantis. I would also agree with HalfMoon in Jamaica. Check on Bookit.com. I was just on there and recall a few nice all inclusives that included golf. It was either in the Dominican, Cancun or Jamaica as those were the islands I was checking

beachbum2 Apr 17th, 2007 05:58 AM

For future reference, if you want this trip in the states, try the Ginn club at Hammock Beach Florida. It really has everything you are asking for and is an amazing resort.

GoTravel Apr 17th, 2007 08:31 AM

What about The Ritz-Carlton Jamaica?

They have a great golf course, family friendly, and you can do the all inclusive.

nankar123 Apr 18th, 2007 06:43 AM

We had a large family vacation several years ago in St. Croix and I highly recommend it. We stayed at the Divi but I would stay at the Buccaneer if no budget considerations. There are 3 great golf courses on St. Croix that are reasonably priced and activities that all of us enjoyed. The Carambola is a beautiful property as well; we enjoyed their seafood buffet on Friday. It is rather isolated, however. There are also many fine restaurants and driving is very easy.

padams421 Apr 18th, 2007 07:00 PM

The Ritz Jamaica is smaller, exclusive yet family friendly. However, the beach area is lacking and kids have to be 5 for the kids program.