JELL FISH??? HELP!!!!

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Gidgit

JELL FISH??? HELP!!!!

Leaving next month for Club Jamaica in Ochio Rios. I've been told to watch out for jelly fish... Now, I don't think I even want to swim in the ocean. Is it really that bad??? Please let me know. Thanks, Gidgit.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 07:08 PM
Louis

I doubt very much that you will have any problems with jelly fish. If there were any around they most likely would be of the moon variety which are mostly harmless except for a slight irritation. There is another problem. That is the sun. If you beach, swim or snorkel for much over 1/2 hour in a day, you will most likely become very painfully sunburned. This is worse in the water due to reflections affecting the back of the neck/shoulders, legs and arms. If you wear a long leave turtle neck tee shirt and dancer's tights you will not have to worry about the sun or the jelly fish. Also a nylon suit for snorklers/divers is excellent for around $90. If you have a snorkel and mask on you can see and easily avoid anything. Jelly fish do not chase you. If they are on the beach don't step on them or pick them up. I fear more what I could get from going in strange swimming pools.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Diane

I've never had a problem with Jelly fish in the Caribbean...but plenty in the Chesapeake Bay and in the Atlantic Coast beaches! Louis is right about potential for sun burn being worse. I usually bring a long sleeved t-shirt, particularly if I know I'll be out snorkeling for a good while. Otherwise, find yourself a place under an umbrella or some palm trees to retreat to when you come in from the water!

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Gidgit

For Louis & Diane: Thank you both for your reply. I'll certainly keep your advice in mind. I've travelled to the Caribbean a few times so I do know firsthand how sneeky the sun can be. Thanks again, Gidgit.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 05:03 AM
Karen

Jelly fish have been increasing world wide it is reported and one should be cautious around certain species. They prefer the warmer waters and are often in full bloom in the Fall months. Of course, I have never been to Ja so do not know the status of them at that location. They are wonderful to watch as they "swim" thru the water but the sting can be extremely painful again depending on the type. They are not aggressive so you just avoid them. If you do get stung, Adolf's Meat Tenderizer works wonders but at this time of year, it should not be a problem! You might want to try a tanning salon for a base coat of tan and use lots of sun screen depending on your tanning quotient. And don't forget the top of your feet and your ears when putting on that sun screen!!!!

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 09:38 AM
lisa

I got stung by a jellyfish once and immediately went to the dive shop on the beach where they poured vinegar all over my leg. It immediately alleviated the burn and red welts. Not a fun experience, but not the end of the world either and quickly went away. It kept me out of the water for the rest of that day but by the next day I was ready to go back in, and the tides had apparently taken the jellyfish back out so they were gone. When you get to where you're going, ask any of the resort staff on the beach (if there's a dive shop) or other guests whether they know if there have been any reports of jellyfish stings lately. That way, you may feel a little more secure or at least know better what to look for (e.g. where I was, there were some stinging jellyfish and some non-stinging -- the non-stinging kind had black dots). Sometimes a change in the weather or current will temporarily bring them in and then they will be gone, so if they were there yesterday that does not mean they will be there today or tomorrow.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Gidgit

To all of you who responded: Thanks bunches for your stories and advice. On my return, I will give you an update. Thanks again, Gidgit.