Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Yucatan Suncoast/Tulum Corridor

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 1998, 08:02 PM
Carolin

We are planning on going to the Yucatan suncoast next January and are looking for tips on hotels, and day trips. We'll be travelling with our 2 kids, 10 and 8 years old, as well as my parents in their 60's. Have any of you stayed at the Porto Real Suites?

Old May 22nd, 1998, 10:49 PM
Irene Lusney

We were down in that area for two weeks and really liked it. We walked past Porto Real many times on the beach and it is a stunning, gorgeous hotel in yellow stone and lovely balconies. It is on a rocky point near to all of the "action". It seemed relatively speaking a bit expensive. Plus, we nicknamed it "stinky point" because they were taking up the rocks in the rocky point and forgetting about all the seawood that would really smell when disturbed. If you like all inclusives(I don't) there are the Diamond, Rui Yucatan, Iberostar in Playacar(nearby) to look at. Happy travels !

Old May 25th, 1998, 07:24 AM
Rich

Carolin, We stayed in Akumal at the Akumal Club Caribe in March and it was wonderful. Snorkeling was great, food was good and local day trips were plentiful. We rented a car in Cancun and drove ourselves to Akumal. Tulum, Xel-Ha, Various Cenotes were all within 30 minutes. Coba was 60 minutes away. Our trip was booked through Rascals In Paradise (www.rascalsinparadise.com). In our package, they provided a nanny for our daughters,ages 4 & 2. However, this nanny program is for kids of all ages. They will cater a program for your children. We can't say enough about Akumal and the job Rascals did. Akumal is great, whether you book through Rascals or not. It was clean, quiet, convenient and very friendly. E-mail for more info. Good Luck!!!!

Old May 27th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Michel

For a quiet, family-oriented vacation, I suggest Club Oasis Akumal, located 1.5 hours by bus south of Cancun. It is smaller than most of the resorts in this area (about 110 rooms). Rooms, food, entertainment, activities, and people are wonderful - as are the grounds, the beach... The snorkeling is great right from the beach, and there is a PADI dive centre on site. The ruins of Tulum are a 10 minute cab ride away, and you can reach the village of Akumal by bike (15 minutes). There are also several cenotes located nearby. Hasta luego!

Old May 30th, 1998, 01:45 PM
Sue

Hi, if you need a place to stay while seeing the ruins in Coba I suggest the Villas Arquelogicas, Sp. ?, use to be a Club Med. Stayed there a couple years ago, good food and friendly staff. Think it was a little over $100 a night.