Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to stay in San Juan for 3 nights (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-stay-in-san-juan-for-3-nights-372321/)

cathart Oct 28th, 2003 10:21 PM

Where to stay in San Juan for 3 nights

My husband and I are flying into San Juan late (about 10 PM), and staying for 3 nights, leaving early on the 3rd day for St. Maarten. Does anyone have a suggestion for where to stay for those 3 nights that won't be too far from the airport, but will be in a nice area, and not too expensive. We have never been to Puerto Rico before, and will not have a car. We will have 2 full days there. I would like to spend about $100 per night if you think we can get something decent for that amount of money. We will be going mid January, so have some time to plan.

Sunnyboy Oct 29th, 2003 05:30 AM

You budget is a little low but you may be able to find something. Most of the moderate priced hotels near the airport start at about $175 and you can expect to pay $200+ per night for places like Courtyard at Marriott, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn up per night.

Try ESJ Towers. It's located on the beach in Isla Verde (6 minutes from the airport) and next door to the Wyndam El San Juan Hotel. This is an "older" condo hotel (built in the late 60's or earlier 70's). It's clean but the decor is a bit dated. Rooms run around $135 to $150 per night. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance and you'll be a 10 or 15 minute cab ride from Old San Juan.

Statia Oct 29th, 2003 05:42 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Isle Verde and were pleased with it for an overall affordable rate.

We took a cab into Old San Juan on one day, and also booked a rain forest tour thru the hotel for another day. The hotel had numerous tours that could be booked.

We found we had to use cabs on occassion in order to get to restaurants or sights, but it wasn't much of a problem, nor very expensive.

Statia Oct 29th, 2003 05:49 AM

I forgot to mention that Isle Verde is very near the airport.

jacketwatch Oct 29th, 2003 06:35 AM

Agree with Sunnboy. The ESJ towers is about 10 min. from the airport, has a very nice beach and is next to the flagship hotel the El San Juan. You are minutes from Old San Juan and ESJ has kitchens too for your convenience.

PRnative Oct 29th, 2003 08:04 AM

As the posts above say, Isla Verde is the area right next to the airport. In that area, under $100 will get you only smaller, basic hotels. Keep in mind also that you're going in high season. On, or very close to, the Isla Verde beach in your price range check: Mario's Hotel (mariospr.com), Empress Oceanfront Hotel (empresspr.com), Casa de Playa Hotel. There are other basic guesthouses a few blocks from the beach: Casa Mathiesen Inn, Green Isle Inn, Borinquen Beach Inn. On the western edge of Isla Verde (Punta las Marias) is a nicer inn called Tres Palmas Inn. Ocean Park & Condado areas are not much farther from the airport and have more options in moderately-priced small hotels & inns. Check Hosteria del Mar, At Wind Chimes Inn, Casa del Caribe, Aleli by the Sea, El Prado Inn & the three Canario Inns. You can find info & reviews of these places on tripadvisor.com. Many of them also have their own websites that you can probably find by doing a "google" search.

KATITCHEPOINT Oct 29th, 2003 08:11 AM

Go to the very stylish boutique hotel "The Waterclub". It's five minutes from the airport (no noise from the planes), has a beautifull beach and delicious food.
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE

kendall Oct 29th, 2003 08:26 AM

Don't go to the Water Club. The rooms are not worth the money. I believe there restaurant is closed on Mondays. The bar serves food with a limited menu. Since the restaurant was closed we ate in the bar. The food was good and the beach is beautiful. But the rooms are overpriced!

diann Oct 29th, 2003 01:05 PM

We stayed post cruise at El Prado Inn. If you are not expecting a 5 star it is more than adequate. It is in your price range, a short cab ride away from the airport. I would guess it was $14.00 one way. This little Inn is in a great location, the people there are very friendly and helpful. The beach is within walking distance. I would also suggest At Wind Chimes Inn. You must remember you are looking at the high season rates. A big hotel will be difficult to find for $100 a night.

cathart Oct 29th, 2003 11:53 PM

What about going to priceline.com--has anyone done that? I know my dates--and if I say I can pay a certain amount for a "resort" hotel--what are the chances I would be dissapointed?

steve Oct 30th, 2003 04:46 AM

Are you a member of any hotel frequent customer programs?

Being a Wyndham byRequest member, we were able to book the Wyndham El San Juan in Mid November for $105 per night.

Just looked and they are now sold out, but others you may be a member of might have some deals.

PRnative Oct 30th, 2003 05:40 AM

Re Priceline: I've read in this and other boards about people getting hotels in Condado and Isla Verde on priceline for as low as $60. From the comments I've seen, it seems the Wyndham Condado Plaza is the one that most often comes up with rooms. If you want to try Priceline, I recommend going to biddingfortravel.com. They have lots of information and tips on how to use Priceline successfully. And, they have a list of the hotels that have come up on Priceline per location. For San Juan, they list a good selection, including some of the Wyndhams, the Marriott, and the Intercontinental. They even link to reviews of the hotels from users. Good luck!