Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to stay in Provo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-stay-in-provo-500575/)

halfcaff Feb 2nd, 2005 10:03 AM

Where to stay in Provo?

My husband and I are going to Provo for first time in May - can't decide between RWI, Sibonne, or a condo resort like Alexandra or Le Vele. We're looking for peace and quiet, days on the beach, evenings reading on the balcony...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jake11 Feb 2nd, 2005 10:25 AM

My husdand and I went to Provo for the first time last July and we had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Sands at Grace Bay and it was beautiful. We took a tour of the Alexandra and I think it is just what you are looking for. It is a little secluded and quiet. Have a wonderful time!!

shirleyk Feb 2nd, 2005 10:34 AM

We spent the first two weeks of September, 2003 at Alexandra. Definitely peace and quiet, days on the beach, and evenings on the balcony. All the units have balconies that face the beach and ocean, and the sunset is right in front of you every night. There is a large swimming pool if you want to use it. We didn't because the ocean water was warm and wonderful. You can easily walk down the beach for snorkeling. Have not stayed at the other places you mentioned.

semiramis Feb 2nd, 2005 12:00 PM

We stayed at Sibonne some years ago when it was still Le Deck. We loved the place BUT it is not for everyone.
It is small and recently was renovated. The garden is gorgeous and mature. The pool is extremely small (really only to cool off in). The beachfront is truly lovely. You can breakfast practically on the beach - the sand is literally inches away - one of the very nicest breakfast spots on Provo. It is about a 15-20 minute walk from excellent off-shore snorkelling. When we were there it was a nice intimate, quiet experience not resort-like at all.

HowardC Feb 3rd, 2005 05:55 AM

We also stayed there when it was Le Deck. It is a very nice property. If you can get the one bedroom apt with kitchen I would stay there. It is very popular and very nice. Can't get much closer to the beach. If you don't need a kitchen there are two new suites below the Apt. Think they call them executive or premier. The three units are the only ones with a direct beach/ocean view. The rest of the rooms are basically motel rooms like you would find in the states. The restaurant Bay Bistro is very good. I wouldn't choose Alexandra as there is quite a bit of construction nearby. Le Vele is new within the last year. NO on site restaurant. In my opinion RWI is too close to Club Med. RWI is also suites with kitchens. If I couldn't get into Sibonne I would probably look at The Sands.

Lizzie518 Feb 3rd, 2005 10:01 AM

If you are still considering RWI, Club Med did not bother us when we stayed there in November.

beachluver Feb 3rd, 2005 10:16 AM

Howard-or any other recent visitors:
Staying at Grace Bay Club in April(can't wait--first trip to Provo!) I am curious about construction noise at/surrounding this property?
We are hoping for a relaxed beachfront stay, and I keep reading about all the growth in this area. Any info is appreciated--if it is noisey, we will just have to tune it out...thanks

HowardC Feb 3rd, 2005 11:36 AM

By April Grace Bay Club will be about 15 months into a 21 month project so expect the buildings will be under roof and the work will be mostly interior. The buildings are west of the current accomodations with the restaurant in between. Don't think the noise will be a problem. GBC is really lovely--enjoy !!!

beachluver Feb 3rd, 2005 01:00 PM

Thank You Howard!
Sooo glad to hear you think GBC is lovely and that the work is under roof! I researched this last June, with this forum and websites, guide books, and it really sounds like what I am looking for. I was aware there was work being done, but nothing beats other travelers first hand info! Will have to give a little report when we return, to return the favor of everyones help. Carol

johanna32 Feb 4th, 2005 12:36 PM

We have been to TC twice and both times stayed in an ocean front suite at the Sands, and loved it. This year we wanted to try something different so are leaving in the morning and will be staying at the Sibonne in the apartment. We're hoping the construction next door is pretty quiet by now. We'll be flying out of Philly and can just imagine the airport with all the Superbowl crowd. Will report back in if and when we make it back.

TG Feb 4th, 2005 12:59 PM

We've been to Provo twice staying at Ocean Club West and The Sands. Had lunch at Sibonne but don't think I would stay there - not much of a pool and more like a motel than a resort. If we were to return we'd likely choose The Sands because of the great staff and amenities - hobie cats, ocean kayaks, etc. We also enjoyed the atmosphere of their bar/restaurant

HowardC Feb 4th, 2005 01:32 PM

The majority of Sibonne is sort of like an old fashioned caribbean resort prior to condos. The majoritu of rooms are sort of like motel rooms Which is why I recommended the apartment and the two suites below it. Yes the pool is small more like a plunge pool to jump in after you come off the beach

halfcaff Feb 4th, 2005 03:22 PM

Thanks to all for your advice - we've narrowed it down to Sibonne or The Sands. Thanks Howard...