Where to Stay in Jamaica?

Jun 25th, 2001, 10:58 AM
SMC

Where to Stay in Jamaica?

My husband and I are making our first trip to the Carribean in November, and are about to decide on Jamaica. (St. Lucia was our first choice, but too expensive.) We're looking at Sandals Negril and Dunn's River Falls, or maybe Grand Lido San Souci if the cost is similar. We're interested in great beaches and pools, great food, & first class accommodations. We're in our 40's. Please share any thoughts and recommendations, and comparisons of Negril and Ocho Rios, please.

Jun 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
DIXIE

Grand Lido Negril. Beautiful rooms and beach. Wonderful food. San Souci is great too but very quiet at night. GL Negril seems to have a little more going on at night. Sandals does not have 24 hour room service, Grand Lido resorts do...very nice touch. I have found the Sandals Resorts are getting a little rundown and unkept. I love Jamaica, just got back 3 days ago with our kids. Weather was wonderful.

Jun 25th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Kim

Sandals Negril By far!!!! Email me if you like!Kim

Jun 25th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Amy

SMC-
Grand Lido Negril is fantastic! I got married there Feb of this year. It's everything you could ask for in a resort. GLN is located in the Bloddy Bay, which protects it from high winds, waves, etc. It's on the famed 7 mile beach....definitely the best beach on Jamaica.
There are two pools there, one by the main beach and one on the clothing optional side. They are both fairly small, and not used much. With the fabulous beaches right there, there's no need.
GLN is all junior suites or better. It's a great set up. You get a LARGE bathroom, KING size bed, and a sitting area.
I had originally considered Sandals Negril but changed to GLN. The price was only $40 more per night for GLN, and I felt we got so much more for our money.
In regards to Ocho Rios....Many times watersports are cancelled due to high winds, rough seas.....
Feel free to email me with any other questions.
Amy

Jun 25th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Penney

While Grand Lido Neril was not one of your choices, I would have to agree that it is the best in Jamaica.

For one thing, Negril is by far the best part of the island - waters are much calmer and clearer then Ocho Rios and the beach is much longer. Negril also get s the most beautiful susnets.
Grand Lido Negril is more luxurious then Sandals - as mcuh as we love Sandals and it is a wonderful resort, for the same money, Grand Lido is first class and more pampering. Rooms are much more spacious with marble baths and big sitting area's and they cater to your every whim.

Sandals Negril is still a wonderful choice - more laid back, casual, very romantic, great buffets and the servcie is very friendly and accomondating. It is our favorite Sandals for the atmosphere is very ttopical and relaxing.

Jun 25th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Angie

Just a correction, certain Sandals resorts do have 24 hr. room service. This would be included for concierge level rooms but not standard rooms. Actually there room servie is a step up from that of grand Lido even in that there is a fully stoked bar in every room whih is refilled everyday and if you run low before the next day the room service guy will bring you more. I went to Grand Lido Braco (great and tons of fun!) we had 24 hr. room service but no fridge or bar in the room. Drinks were brought to you by the glass too, you ouldn't order a 6 pack of beer of anything.I think Sandals is more luxurious and romanti but Grand Lido is more lively and still deluxe.

Jun 26th, 2001, 07:07 AM
SMC

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Negril is the place to be! About Grand Lido-I've read reports that guests are only allowed to eat at the best restaurant once. I am concerned because we would really enjoy a few evenings of fine dining. How are the other restaurants?

Jun 26th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Penney

I have never heard that you can only eat at the top restaurant once but could be.

The other restaurants are wonderful! Buffets in the main dining room for lunch and breakfast are absolutely huge with a great assortment of meats, cheeses, pasteries, fruits hot and cold dishes. The other restaurant - I beleive, was also top notch. Grand Lido has wonderufl food and athe service is very accomondating.

One thing - when booking your room, I would suggest that you get a ground floor room as the balconies are very small - tight to fit chairs. One the first floor, we literally walked right out onto the beach.

Jun 27th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Diane

I highly suggest you check out Charela Inn in Negril before you book at Grand Lido. Charela has a meal plan and the best restaurant on the island of Jamaica. There is an amazingly professional staff that rarely turns over...staff stay there for years because they are well-treated and paid fairly. It has one of the very best spots on Negril's beach. There is a small pool, but with that incredible clear calm water at the beach, I've never been tempted by the pool. The rooms have recently been refurbished, with marble baths. You will also probably spend 30-40% less than at an All-Inclusive like Grand Lido. Do a search on this forum and you should find other satisfied guests like me! It's probably also in Rants and Raves.

Jun 27th, 2001, 01:32 PM
SMC

Diane-
Thanks for the suggestion. The AI's are so expensive!!I looked at the website and have a few questions. Are coffeemakers, mini bars, etc. available? Is the atmosphere more family oriented than romantic and couple oriented? Is the surrounding area safe for exploring? Lots of tour options, etc? Thanks for your help.

Jun 27th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Diane

It is in a great area to explore. You basically use the beach as the "main street" in Negril. For the liveliest entertainment after dinner, walk down to the left and stop off at Alfred's Ocean Palace for a couple of drinks and to listen to the live music. Or if no one's playing at Alfreds, they probably are at Roots Bamboo. To tell you the truth, we never have used a coffee bar in a room in Negril, because you can either call room service, or sit on the gorgeous patio and let them keep your cup filled with that fabulous Blue Mountain brew. We may have kept a few bottles of water in the mini-bar fridge, but the bartender and staff at the hotel bar are so friendly and we also made friends with a few other couples staying there. The hotel guests are a good mix of Europeans and US and Canadians...more European. Couples of all ages make it very romantic. Actually, I think of Negril as too romantic and adult for kids. I don't think you'll see any in November, anyway since school is in full swing. It should be a perfect time for Negril. My most favorite memory was the night they had a jazz quartet playing. We had just finished an elegant dinner, candles on the table, tables filled with couples all enjoying a gorgeous night. I took my husband's hand and said "When I was a little girl, I used to imagine that grown-ups all went out to nightclubs with bands and drank cocktails and ate wonderful food. Here we are in paradise. It's even better than my childhood dreams!"

Jun 27th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Diane

Tour options! (Almost forgot, I got carried away with that romantic memory) You can arrange anything at the front desk. We hired a driver for the day to take us to see Black River Safari, and a terrific water falls area (name escapes me at the moment). Hearing his stories about the countryside we were driving through added greatly to the experience! We had a great time. Another time we went out with another couple on a local guide's snorkle boat out to the reef. It, too, was a great deal of fun. I believe Charela still has a complimentary yacht trip up and down the whole coastline one evening for all the guests. You can walk and walk the beach in both directions, stop someplace that looks interesting for lunch or a drink and snacks, cool off in the beautiful sea...it is a great romantic vacation.

Jun 27th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Diane

Oh yes! YS Falls. Ha. How can I forget! The reason we did that daytrip was because the first trip we made to Negril, we met a couple of school teachers from Boston (man & wife) who told us they had been spending their Spring break in Negril for 12 years. Every year they planned to take that daytrip to YS Falls, but then they just got comfortable on the beach, floating around in that water, or walking down the beach and stopping somewhere for lunch, and never quite got up the energy to leave! (Come to think of it, we met them at Cosmos' a great little beachbar restaurant a mile or so to the "right" from Charela). Anyway, you'll always find something or nothing to do. In either case, this is a trip to totally melt away any stress.