Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

where to stay in barbados on the west coast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 09:51 PM
stace

We are going to barbados Mid april any ideas on where to stay?? How is the hilton??? looking for a nice beach. And a nice hotel( not all inclusive) Do you need to stay close to town to get around? Your help is appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 06:01 AM
Sharon

Dear Stace: Saw your message. We stayed at Bougainvilla/Sand Acres Resort in the St. Lawrence Gap Area (southwest) of Barbados two years ago. Bougainvilla is studio apts, about 12 to a bldg. (where we stayed) and Sand Acres is like a motel. Both are very clean, lush greenery on the grounds, long sandy beach, no coral. Good grill restaurant on property. Water sports equipment for hire. It is not an "all inclusive property". St. Lawrence Gap is about a 15 minute walk down the beach past two other resorts and then a short trip along the road. Extremely safe area to walk at night. St. Lawrence Gap has many shops, markets,restaurants, grills, jazz bars. We also rented a small jeep type vehicle and spent two days driving around the whole island. Native People are extremely friendly. They are not allowed to sell their wares on the beaches ( so no hasseling like in Jamaica or Nassau) and there are designated market areas. Bougainville is a resort that many Nova Scotia, Canadians go to year after year. It has a very good reputation! Hope this is of some help to you. <BR>

Old Feb 27th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Janice

Hi. I can recommend The Sea Breeze for accommodation. It is not on the West Coast however, it is on the South Coast. You can go all inclusive but we didn't. We also went off season (November 1998). Our room rate was CDN$110 I think. We stayed for 11 nights. Sea Breeze has a very nice beach and good swimming. The restaurant is very pretty but the food is nothing to rave about. We had a room on the top floor overlooking the pool with a view of the ocean. Very nice. Simple not luxurious. The Sea Breeze has a web site. Just search Barbados and Sea Breeze and you'll come up with it. It has some nice photos. Barbados on the whole is very nice. Rent a moke and drive around (on the left ... yikes!). Or you can be brave and flag down one of the private vans (a version of bus service) and hop on for a very squishy, hot ride to town. But you'll feel like a part of things. Restaurants are expensive, but you're on holidays. The West Coast beaches are very lovely and when we visited one we were the only two on the beach. The sand on the West Coast is more a light brown color, on the South Coast at Sea Breeze it is a very pale coral color. The sea is slightly more rough on the south coast, the west coast is very flat and calm. Take a catamaran cruise. They're very good, we went with Tiami Cruises. I believe is was $75 Barbados each. <BR> <BR>Wherever you end up, enjoy.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 05:55 PM
John

<BR> We just returned from 7 days in Barbados. Stayed at the Accra Beach Hotel on the south coast, at Rockley beach area. We liked the Accra very much, it appeared alot newer and more modern than many other hotels we saw. We stopped at Hilton to pick people up for a boat cruise; it looked very run down and someone said it was being torn down soon and rebuilt. I would not recommend it. I would pick the Accra if on south coast. It has beautiful pool and grounds, good restaurant, on nice beach. About $5.00 US cab ride to St. Lawrence Gap, $8.00 to Bridgetown. West coast seemed a little nicer on the whole, but not as lively. If you're looking for alot to do and close proximity to many things, Accra on South Coast is a good spot. E-mail us if you want more info.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 01:39 AM
Pip

You might be interested in comments I've just posted - should be up the top of the tree. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 04:56 PM
john

Hey If we're going to barbados for a week sun-sun. Age:25&31. Where should we stay. How much was it for you per night. Was it a nice beach, room, service.... We want to book this vacation soon. We just need to hear from people who have been there. Let me know what your overall thoughts were for the trip..Greatly Appreciate it <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 04:57 PM
john

Hey If we're going to barbados for a week sun-sun. Age:25&31. Where should we stay. How much was it for you per night. Was it a nice beach, room, service.... We want to book this vacation soon. We just need to hear from people who have been there. Let me know what your overall thoughts were for the trip..Greatly Appreciate it <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Anton

Hi, <BR>Good news is that Barbados Is a "Fun" island to visit, and the people are very nice(unlike on some other islands). <BR>Been there twice...very great trips. <BR>CRANE BEACH hotel is very magnetic, but on the south coast. Most hotels on the west coast are quite ACCOMODATING! <BR>I stayed at the Discovery Bay hotel(april2398-may1), and I would go back there again....as well as the Crane....Barbados has many excellent deals.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 08:38 AM
April

It's been a long time since I've been there, but if I recall correctly the Hilton is in the south close to town in a rather unattractive area. The best places with nicer beaches and beautiful grounds are on the west coast...but it would be helpful to have your own transportation. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 06:16 AM
Cathy

Stace - So far the hotels people have mentioned are nice, but only one is on the west coast, Discovery Bay. If you want to stay on the west coast, which has a little less activity than the south, but the most gorgeous, calm beaches, some other ideas are Glitter Bay, Royal Pavilion, Tamarind Cove, Colony Club, or Treasure Beach. If these are out of your price range there are many more to choose from. Check out www.barbados.org and you can sort the hotels by location. St. James is my favorite area, followed by St. Peter which is to the north. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 01:01 PM
Rick

<BR>Go to the Hil;ton. It is great. I went there for my honeymoon. It is on a sand bar with calm waters on one side, nice surf on the other. Great food, great beach barbeque's and great people and scenery. The hotel is built around an old fort with a beautiful attrium inside the centre of the hotel. You'll love it

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Cathy

Rick / Stace - I believe the Hilton is closed for a MAJOR renovation... I don't know when they plan to reopen.