Where to Stay in Barbados?

Apr 11th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Sharon

Where to Stay in Barbados?

My husband and I would appreciate some suggestions as to where to stay in Barbados for vacation based on your personal experience.

Apr 11th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Lois

Hi Sharon,

To answer that best it would be helpful to know what age range you are and what types of activities you are interested in.

We love Bougainvillea Beach on the South Coast. Also a great property on the South Coast is the newer Coral Sands Beach Resort.

Nice all inclusives include Almond Beach Club (West Coast) and Turtle Beach Resort (South Coast).

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:41 AM
m

Spend the money on some parenting classes!!!

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:41 AM
m

oops..wrong one!
sorry

Apr 11th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Bud

Just finished researching Barbados resorts. The Coral Sands has just re-opened after a major renovation. Expensive though! I found that the Crane Resort offers great amenities for the money. Their Private Residences can't be topped on the island.

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Lois

Coral Sands Beach Resort is brand new -- I find that hard to believe that they just did major "renovations".

Crane Beach has spectacular scenery and the private residences are lovely, but the location is very far from most things, especially the West Coast where most of the fabulous restaurants are.

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Lois

A further comment on Coral Sands Beach Resort -- in case you may have this confused with "Coral Reef Club". Coral Sands Beach resort is on the South Coast on Sandy Beach and it was built approx. 18 months ago.
Coral Reef Club is on the West Coast and has been around for awhile, so that might be recently refurbished. Just wanted to clarify.

Apr 12th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Lisa

I would highly recommend the Coral Reef Club. The property is beautiful, the food is great and the general ambiance is wonderful. Gerry and I were there in January 2000 and are going back in December of this year. . .

Apr 12th, 2002, 11:30 AM
N

Lisa, do you have any info on the Bougainvillea Beach Resort?

Apr 12th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Lois

My husband and I stayed at Bougainvillea Beach in November last year & it was great. This was our 4th time staying there. All of the accommodations there are lovely. It's got a great pool area. The water is nice, but a little rough at times. One thing that frustrated us in November was the extensive road work going on in that area that affected us every time we left the resort. There is a large sewer project going on on the south coast. You might check with reservations if it is complete in their area yet. Leaving the resort and heading south involved taking a detour on an upper road and then eventually connecting again with the south coast road -- it added lots of travel time daily when we went south. Just something to think about. The resort, however, is great and I can highly recommend it. Lois

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Lisa

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about that resort- all of the resorts I checked out were on the west coast. . . sorry!

Apr 13th, 2002, 02:22 PM
xxx

Last year a lady friend and I went to Barbados Beach Club. Very Very Clean, but basic.
We walked 2-3 hotels west of it to see what was in the area the outside of the Bouganvilla was lovely. Lots of flowers and it is close to St. Laurence Gap. Great night life, mostly for young people. Between our hotels was a drug house right on the beach. Maybe it was because we were 2 women, bot we were hounded hourly to BUY ALOE, and anything we desired. It was unnerving. Security said drugs were all over the beach but perhaps more concentrated in that area because that is where one of the bases were. I would stay at the Turtle Beach if I go back. It is still in St.Laurence area (in the south end but a little more to the west)but not next door to the drug house. We spent a day at this hotel and it was increadable and they put on shows each night so you don't have to fork out more money. There is lots of shopping around on the street and we felt safe enough to go to Bridgetown by bus. Ask at hotel what the main shopping st. (I forget.) We met people who went downtown aimlessly and back and did not ask where to shop and then they were disappointed when we told them where we shopped. (Shopping is great there if you are intersted). If you visit Barbados take the 'all island tour', it was great. Good luck. Hope to see the review you send after you return from wherever you decide to go