Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to Stay in Bahamas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-stay-in-bahamas-425832/)

BeachGirl247 Apr 26th, 2004 07:05 AM

Where to Stay in Bahamas

My husband and I are planning a trip over the 4th of July and are using miles to travel. Our choices are Nassau or Freeport for airports. We have not traveled here before and am reading as much as I can about places to stay but sooo many islands!

What places are recommended for these areas?

Requirements:
*beautiful beach
*quiet hotel (opposite of Atlantis)
*up to $500/night (more if meals included)
9 nights

What transportation is available that could take us to another island, such as Provo or North Eleuthra? What others should we check into?

Would like to stay at Pink Sands or Meridian Club for part of this trip if available and then something a little less expensive for the other half of the trip.

Would love to hear from anyone who can offer any help on this.

Thanks!

BeachGirl247 Apr 26th, 2004 09:16 AM

...just checked with Bahamas Air and the fare from Nassau to Provo was $398 so Provo is out now unless someone knows of a cheaper way to get there.

CurtHF Apr 26th, 2004 10:18 AM

Hi, There are two general catagories of places in the Bahamas. Brass, Glitz and Glass, with crowds, hassels, etc., or the catagory that my wife and I like, empty miles of quiet sand beaches and a beautiful, totally undeveloped Atlantic coastline of sand and rocks. I suggest you stay only a night in Nassau and fly on either of two airlines to Long Island, and stay in one of Pierr's little cottages on top of the beach. They have pages at www.chezpierrebahamas.com or something close that address. We have stayed there three or four times and are going back this summer. My wife likes to stay on the beach and bob in the water, and not much more, however I recommend you also rent a car and check the area out. Long Island has the most beautiful ocean coasts in the Amercias. Curt

Fasst1 Apr 26th, 2004 01:42 PM

For what you described as requirements, especially "opposite the Atlantis" the only one that really meets your description is the Ocean Club, owned by Atlantis but a completely separate facility. One of the few true 5 star resorts in the Bahamas.

Danny

BeachGirl247 Apr 29th, 2004 06:30 AM

Thanks for the replies!
Looked at both. Pierre is a bargain for that area and has a pretty beach. Ocean Club is beautiful, too. Its on a different island so looking into air for that.

Thanks for the responses!!
Sheila

wantsomesun Apr 29th, 2004 11:06 AM

The Ocean Club is located on Paradise Island, just off New Providence (which is the island Nassau is on), it is a short cab ride from downtown and about a $20 cab ride from Nassau Airport.

Other islands you might consider would be Harbour Island (Pink Sands or Runaway Hill Club) or Abaco.

Runaway Hill is our personal favorite and you can see some pictures at www.runawayhill.com. It is very small only 10 rooms and it is right on the beach.

You can fly into Nassau and take Bahamsas Air over or if you are using Continental or USAir you can fly from Florida to N. Eleuthera Airport and then take a taxi and then a water taxi over to the island.

There are no children at Runaway and the food there is the best on island. We're hoping to get there this summer for our vacation as well.

Have a great time and enjoy the Bahamas.

BeachGirl247 Apr 30th, 2004 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Runaway Hill. We can't get over to Harbour without spending $350 EACH from Nassau. That seems quite high to me for an island hop. Can't get into Eleuthra with Cont'l -- free seats gone. We'll shoot for that area next year.
Thanks for your info -- it was very helpful!
Sheila

1LUV2TRAVEL May 1st, 2004 05:43 PM

I would fly into Nassau and spend a night or so at the Ocean Club. As one poster mentioned, only a short cab ride to get there. I would then take the Bahamas Fast Ferry to get to Harbour Island. We were married in Nassau and honeymmooned at Pink Sands in Harbour Island. I think the Fast Ferry was only like $100 round trip per person. I think it was like a 2 hour ride. Very nice trip. It is worth it to see Harbour Island. A very cute little island with lots of charm. The pink sand there is unbelievable. The best beach we have ever seen!

BeachGirl247 May 3rd, 2004 08:18 AM

Thanks! We booked our flight into Nassau and found a $125/rt fare from Nassau to N. Eleuthra on Bahamas Air. We will overnight in Nassau and fly to Eleuthra next morning for 6 nights and then spend 2 nights in Nassau to accomodate our flight home @5:45pm on Sat.

WantSomeSun -- I took your advice and we are booked at Runaway Hill! It looks perfect. Any recommendations while we are there? Roger asked me if I wanted a villa or upstairs room -- which would you recommend? Restaurants or excursion? I'm going to look into renting a boat for a day for snorkeling/sailing -- would like to go around Sampson Cay if they go there.

Is there anything you consider a "must do"?

Thanks!

wantsomesun May 3rd, 2004 04:58 PM

Well, I'm a bit green with envy right now. Paul and I have not been able to get there for the last couple of years and I really miss the island.

When you land at Eleuthera, ask for a cab driver named Wendell, he will take you to the dock and give you some info on Eleuthera, ask him anything you want to know about seeing Eleuthera.

When you get to the dock on Harbour Island, Reggie will be waiting to take you up to Runaway. Ask Reg for a tour of the island on the way up to Runaway so you can get the "lay of the land".

You are very close to "downtown", lol, staying at Runaway.

Carol will expect you for dinner your first night, but you can certainly dine out any evening. At breakfast you will be asked if you are dining in that evening and the menu will be posted by the front door.

Rooms? Well my favorite is the room beside the office, but the rooms upstairs are also nice and each has a private deck area, and a nice view of the water.

Seating for dinner is at 8pm and most evenings we eat out on the porch overlooking the deck/beach/ocean, really beautiful.

Paul and I usually head down to the pool late at night and enjoy watching the shooting stars, more stars there in the sky than we have ever seen before.

Things to do, well, relax, each room is stocked with a small library, and there is a large bookcase in the main house if you don't find anything you would like to read in your room (I usually bring a book or two and leave it behind with my name in it and a welcome to Runaway Hill).

Valentine's Dive shop does 2 dive trips a day and a snorkel trip to two.

There is a bit of shopping on island, and a few straw stands. The first stand, is run by a wonderful 80something much loved local, please buy something from her.

Lots of interesting history to the island, and you won't find friendlier people anywhere else in the world.

When you call again please tell Roger and Carol I send LOTS of love and will try and get there this summer.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Gail

BeachGirl247 May 3rd, 2004 08:14 PM

Gail,
Thank you!! It sounds like we are going to love this place. I will definately send your regards to Roger and Carol. I spoke with Roger on the phone this morning and couldn't have been friendlier!

I always ask about diving but I have to laugh -- our last 3 trips to the Caribbean we haven't left our beach chairs except to get a new book or a cocktail!!

About the rooms at Runaway: you like the room next to the office. If we prefer privacy, would you still recommend that room or another? (Sounds silly, but our last trip we had a great room but too close to the restaurant patio and we were "entertained" 'till the wee hours of the morning by the 50th birthday group.)

Oh. Love to bring back special goodies from wherever we travel. What should I look for? and where? Our only stop in the Bahamas will be Eleuthra unless we go over to Exuma. (not flying thru Nassau now -- Mia direct to ELH)

Thanks for all of your help!
Sheila

wantsomesun May 4th, 2004 10:02 AM

There is a little shopping on island so you should be able to find something fun to take home. How about some art? There are now a couple of galleries on island, as well as a couple of clothing stores that have local fun beach clothing.

If you want privacy it won't be a problem with noise at night, and staying in the "house" you are closer to the bar, for late evening tastings. We do that, grab a "smash" (which is Roger's speciality) and head down to watch the stars.

Runaway does a nice "chit" thing, which is you write down what you have taken from the bar and it is added to your bill, so you won't have to carry cash around at all. There is also a safe in each room for valuables.

For rooms if you want a view of the water the 2 rooms upstairs and the room by the office have the best views. The largest room is the one furthest from the house, it has a cute little porch and a fireplace, (you definately won't need the fireplace in July).

I also realize you will be there for the Bahamas Independence Day which is ALOT of fun. There are firework (notice not fireworkS, lol) and lots of good food and music. You will have a ball.

Gail