Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Aruba?

We're still trying to settle on a place in Aruba. We're looking at:

Casa Del Mar
La Cabana Resort
Marriott Ocean Club

Will be going with our two sons (19 & 24) and their girlfriends. Any info that anyone can give to help us choose?

Looking for quiet, well maintained with good access to the beach. We're also trying to decide if the extra money for the Marriott is worth it, or if the others are comparable.

Thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi I can only comment on the Marriott. We stayed at the hotel portion which shares the beaches and pools with the ocean club. (each have their own, but you can bounce between). We loved our trip there. Our kids are younger, but there was a beach bar called Moombas right next door(5 min walk down the beach) that a lot of young people were hanging out. Another family with teens said there kids went there every night and they felt safe about it. There is a ton of watersports right in front of the hotel/condo complex. We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely go back!!
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I've heard that Palm Beach is a lot noisier and more crowded than Eagle Beach. What was your experience at Palm Beach?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:13 AM

We stay at the Allegro on Palm Beach. We love it so much we bought a timeshare there. We like Palm Beach b/c there is more to do right at your fingertips and there are more restaurants w/in walking distance of the hotels in this area so you don't have to rent a car for your entire trip.

Of the three I would pick in this order:

Casa Del Mar
Marriott
La Cabana

I've only walked through La Cabana once and I saw a lot of younger children (under 15). Don't get me wrong there were kids of all ages, but more were younger.

Have you looked at Playa Linda on Palm Beach? It's also a timeshare and you can rent directly from owners and get a great deal.

For more info on Aruba check out these links.
http://www.aruba-bb.com/

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/bul...oard/index.php

http://www.aruba.com/home.htm

Enjoy your stay!

Nancy
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:53 AM

When we stayed at La Cabana on one trip there were a lot of younger children.
The very popular Marriott is a nice property in an active area and is normally crowded. Access to watersports and restaurants are easier from this location.
Don't know about Casa Del Mar but it's located at Eagle Beach which is our favorite because it's quieter and the beach is very large. You can arrange for watersports nearby at Costa Linda.
The low-rise area (Eagle) and the high-rise area (Palm) are not that far apart by taxi, bus or rental car.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Brian, I have never been to Eagle beach and I have heard wonderful things about it, BUT... You have older kids and if they like some action, than stay on Palm Beach. It has all of the watersports right in front of all of the hotels and time share units. You can walk from hotel to hotel. The Marriott is located on a quieter end of Palm Beach because it is the last resort..(literally). The beach in front of the Ocean club was bigger and wider than the hotel's beach. (we preferred the time share's beach and we reserved a hut there every day.) I walked down and around a few places, the Holiday Inn (old and needs a face-lift, but it is a Holiday Inn), the Playa Linda, (looked okay, but heard some bad reviews on units), and the Hyatt Hotel (beautiful grounds-gets great reviews). There is a website that is aruba-bb.com It is full of people who post questions and answers about Aruba. These people love Aruba and have stayed everywhere. I went to this website many times before we went and I knew where to eat, where to rent a cell phone, where to go to the grocery store, etc....It was a wonderful help. Also, the dining in Aruba is great. There are so many wonderful restaurants to explore. Oh and there is some talk that there is toplessness on the Eagle beach side. I saw a little of it on the Palm Beach, not at the Marriott at all, but down by the Holiday inn of all places!Anyway good luck in your search. Any more questions?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM

We've stayed at both LaCabana and the Marriott Ocean Club and the MOC gets my vote. Nothing at all wrong with LaCabana; it's a great resort, nice room, great beach, great pools. We just preferred the busier beach at the MOC, the MOC is newer and a bit nicer and being able to use all the facilities at the hotel was a plus as well.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Different strokes for different folks, I s'pose.

I personally far prefer Eagle Beach (and by extension, La Cabana) to Palm Beach (and by extension, Marriott). The reason is simply that Palm Beach is TOO crowded with tons of people rushing out early in the morning to stake their claims on prime real estate for the day, bumper to bumper beach chairs, too many jet skis, etc.

To me, Eagle Beach is much saner, wider, and more relaxing. I also like that the hotels aren't smack dab up against the sand.

As always though, your mileage may vary...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com