Where to Stay Besides Provo?

Apr 9th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Shari

Where to Stay Besides Provo?

My family is looking at traveling to Turks and Caicos but we don't really know where to concentrate on. Most posts seem to focus on staying in Provo, but what of the other, out-of-the-way spots? We are really looking for great beaches, calm water, preferably lodgings directly on a beach, and some shade (like some trees). Is this unreasonable? Any suggestions? One of us will be a 3 1/2 year old who grew gills a couple of years ago, so the beach part is pretty important.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:55 AM
JMM

As long as you DONT go to the Beaches resort or the Allegro Resort or the Club Med (these are the all inclusives) - you will find gorgeous, uncrowded beach with fantastic, safe swimming on Provo. No shade though.
The Sands is directly on the beach and in a nice location. So is Sibonne. Both Ocean Clubs are on the beach.
Turtle Cove and the Comfort Suites are not on the beach.
Not on Provo but in T&C
There is a resort on Salt Cay whose name escapes me. On North Caicos there is the Prospect of Whitby. On Grand Turk there are several small hotels.
Please note however - Provo itself is pretty quiet - the other islands are REALLY, REALLY quiet. So it depends on how out-of-the-way you want to be.

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Dudley

The resort on Salt Cay may be Windmills Plantation. It sounds wonderful, but remote. The managers used to run the Meridian Club on Pine Cay.

Apr 15th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Bob

To JMM:

Why do you say: "As long as you DONT go to the Beaches resort or the Allegro Resort or the Club Med (these are the all inclusives)"?

Is it because they ARE all-inclusives or is there some other concern?

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
JMM

In response to Bob:
the original poster wanted quiet out-of-the-way spots. I dont consider any of the all inclusives to be particularly quiet or "out-of-the-way". However I am sure for someone wanting a less out-of-the-way experience they would be OK.

Nov 27th, 2002, 11:33 AM
susan

the resort on salt cay is the windmills & i stayed there. don't bother! the islanders were great, the hotel owners & other expatriots will take you for all your money. the windmills had great food, fab each, rooms w/ no air conditioning (you need it at times), & all that for $500 per night. if you want remote & cheaper on salt cay, stay w/ nathan, he has newly built units near the mount pleasant house.

Nov 27th, 2002, 01:11 PM
????

When did you stay there? Assume you did recently since you mention the expat owners. What's up with that?

Dec 28th, 2002, 09:02 PM
sue

we were there at windmills late summer early fall. things may have improved, but have no plans to return anyway. too bad, beautiful spot of beach there.