Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-stay-464698/)

billc Aug 4th, 2004 07:59 AM

Where to stay?

My wife and I are planning to go to Aruba in Oct/Nov and we're looking for a place to stay. We're 30 and have no kids and are looking for a place with a great beach, laid back attitude, but still plenty of fun activities. Any suggestions would be great!

Kristen1206 Aug 4th, 2004 08:12 AM

I would definitely recommend the Radisson on Palkm Beach. My fiance and I want a couple years ago and were just about that age.

The hotel is beautiful, zero entry pool is great (though we never even used it!), rooms were very nicely deocrated, grounds were beautiful (flowers, waterfalls, parrots) and the beach was awesome. Plenty of palapas for shade and water was nice and calm. Gilligan's (the beachfront restaurant/bar) makes the best pina coladas!.

The hotel is right next door to the DePalm pier where many of the excursions leave from. And at the end of the pier was a cool little dock bar that has great happy hours and sunsets.

You can also rent kayaks & floats etc.. on the beach near the pier.

Have a great trip!

P.S. Don't miss El gaucho for dinner and be sure to do the Kukoo Kunuku party bus!

beth23 Aug 4th, 2004 09:58 AM

I second the Radisson, and their beach was the nicest of all the other hotels we saw.

YrAngel Aug 4th, 2004 10:14 AM

Your greatest beach is Costa Linda, no discussion, check for yourself and you are within reach of any other activities you would like to do.

billc Aug 4th, 2004 11:27 AM

How do you think the Radison compares to the Hyatt? I've heard good things about both.

twin Aug 5th, 2004 07:54 AM

Absolutely stay at the Radisson.
We also booked through Travel Unlimited - ask for Alan

gorby Aug 9th, 2004 08:36 AM

We just spent a week at the Renaissance and highly recommend it! Their private island is great--beautiful, great food, hammocks, never crowded. The hotel is right in the center of town so you can easily walk to many great restaurants. Two pools, health club, spa, too. We took the bus ($2 round trip) up to the the high-rise hotel area for windsurfing and jet-skiing on two different days and really prefered our location. Have fun!

Pappy Aug 10th, 2004 12:34 PM

Try the lesser known, but equally fab Long Bone Resort and Beach Club. Outstanding location and great eats.

girlonthego Aug 13th, 2004 02:00 PM

We stayed at the Marriott and liked it very much, but the Hyatt and the Radisson are more "in the action" and are probably more luxurious. Although, the Marriott is quite nice too and I would return in a heartbeat! I have seen the HYatt and it is beautiful. For a more low key resort, Bucuti gets rave reviews and is all adult. Aruba is not that big. You can't go wrong with the Hyatt, Radisson, Marriott or Bucuti.