Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to Honeymoon??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-honeymoon-469455/)

July2005 Aug 24th, 2004 12:46 AM

Where to Honeymoon???

Hi

My fiance and I are getting married in Cyprus next July but we want our Honeymoon in the Caribbean. What is the best month to go? We were hoping to go in October, is that a good or bad idea? We'd like to go to Hawii or Bahamas? any suggestions/

Thanks

Sunnyboy Aug 24th, 2004 09:46 AM

Just to set you straight Hawaii is in the midde of the Pacific and the Bahamas are in the Atlantic (6,000 miles apart) so it's difficult to compare the two.

Also, September and October is peak hurrican season in the Caribbean and while there's no way to tell if a major storm will hit the particular island you are visiting at the time you are visiting you might want to consider a safer destination since it's your Honeymoon and you are travelling such a great distance. If you are committed to October, at the very least consider the islands of Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Trinidad & Tobago. These are far enough south so that Hurricanes are not a great threat.

Hawaii is subject to Hurricanes during that same time period bu the risk is not as hih. Hope this helps.

Maureen Aug 24th, 2004 10:47 AM

Barbados should be okay too.

travleis Aug 24th, 2004 04:44 PM

You will be travelling from Cyprus?
If you'll be making a grand effort to find a first rate destination resort on a great beach, I'm curious why you chose the Bahamas and Hawaii?
Hawaii would be much farther than places like the Seychelles, French Polynesia, Bali and Phuket. And I don't personally think the Bahamas belongs in that company in terms of overall quality. Hawaii offers many great options, but would literally be about as far as you could travel in the entire world (save for New Zealand).
What is it that you want from your destination?

July2005 Aug 25th, 2004 04:35 AM

Hi

Thanks for you emails, they are very helpful because I dont have a clue what I'm doing with the Honeymoon! I'm getting married in Cyprus but I'm living in Ireland so I'll be going on my Honeymoon from Ireland, thats why I thought the Caribbean would have less travelling then Mauritius or somewhere like that. And I been informed I'd be bored in the like Mauritius. I picked October because I dont want to leave the Honeymoon too long after the wedding. What month is the best for the Caribbean or are they any suggestions of other destinations?

Thanks so much for you advise its invaluable.

Maureen Aug 25th, 2004 09:32 AM

Some ideas for properties that would be very nice for a honeymoon in the Caribbean are:
1. LaLuna, Grenada (laluna.com)
2. The House, Barbados (eleganthotels.com)
3. Bel Air Plantation, Grenada (belairplantation.com)
4. Ottley's Plantation Inn, St. Kitts (ottleys.com)
5. Reed's Villas No. 5, Barbados
6. Couples-Negril, Jamaica (couples.com)
7. Hillcrest Guest House, St. John Virgin Islands (hillcreststjohn.com)
8. Club Bonito Inn, Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata nearest airport) (clubbonito)
9. Maroma Resort, Riviera Maya Yucatan Mexico
In addition to travelers reviews from Fodors you can also refer to Where2Stay.com

Maureen Aug 25th, 2004 10:01 AM

British Airways has direct flights from London Gatwick to Grenada and probably there are direct flights from UK to Barbados. Since you're leaving from Ireland this is something you might consider.

travleis Aug 25th, 2004 07:09 PM

Have you considered the Greek Isles and the Amalfi Coast of Italy?
Remember that October is hurricane season in the Caribbean.
If you want things to do in addition to nice beaches, I'd consider Bermuda as well as some of the other places listed above.

Merbear2 Aug 29th, 2004 03:00 PM

If you 're looking for something romantic in the Carib, an idea would also be St. Kitts. It's a small island, but plenty to do. I'm headed there for my honeymoon in Sept and we're splitting time btwn a Marriot resort and also a plantation inn which looks amazing. Check out www.ottleys.com, that's the Inn we're staying at, in our own little cottage with private plunge pool! Yes, it is hurrican season, but that's what insurance is for.

Carola22 Aug 29th, 2004 10:29 PM

Just trying to imagine your trip - have you looked at a map? Just a thought, but I think that's maybe the first step in planning your wedding and honeymoon... Cyprus is quite a ways east of Ireland, not far from the coast of Israel, and Egypt. The Caribbean is all the way to the west, across the Atlantic! You'll be doing a LOT of travelling, not to mention the time difference. Why not go with a previous poster's suggestion, and choose Mauritius or some such place? Much more logical, geographically speaking. Also wondering why you think you would be 'bored' on Mauritius, and not the Caribbean...

Carola22 Aug 29th, 2004 10:32 PM

A small addition to my previous post: you should be aware that October is low season in the Caribbean (a slightly higher chance of hurricanes). This means that for instance on Anguilla, where we usually go, a lot of hotels and restaurants are closed. On the plus side, everything will be much more quiet of course, with feer tourists.

Cicerone Sep 2nd, 2004 06:53 AM

For people not reading July2005's post correctly, she is getting married in JULY and does not plan to honeymoon until OCTOBER, at which time she will be living in Ireland, so going to Mauritius (although a great idea) is not going to be any shorter a flight for her then the Caribbean.

As noted, July is hurricane season, but I understand the further south you go, the less chance of encountering a hurricane, but you could have rain in . Islands in the far south like Aruba would be good. Alternatively, I would vote for Costa Rica, where you can get great beaches and also see rainforests, or go inland to mountains and cooler temps. Rainfall is low in October and no hurricanes at all as the beaches are on the west coast.

Another place to consider is South Africa (I personally and dying to go) where you can have great beaches and a safari. October is the Spring time there, temps are never really hot from what I understand, but the scenery is supposed to be awesome

Greece and the Amalfi coast are cooling down in October in terms of temperatures (average temps about 16 C) and a bit rainy, so would not be ideal if you want to do a lot of sunbathing; otherwise they pretty at that time, esp earlier in the month.