Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to have a cozy beach wedding - affordable too (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-have-a-cozy-beach-wedding-affordable-too-985689/)

Betttttttttty Jul 19th, 2013 08:54 AM

Where to have a cozy beach wedding - affordable too

There are so many places in the Caribbean to look - I don't even know where to start. We would like to stay away from the 'wedding factory' idea. We're HOPING to have a little over 100 people, but may be under - in an ideal world we could buy out the place - we want it to feel cozy/luxurious but affordability is also a factor because we do want everyone to come. The style we are looking for is old-world I guess but I know our guests will want to be able to watch tv in their rooms. Any suggestions of locations, time of year....?

blamona Jul 19th, 2013 09:34 AM

What's affordable? (Like nightly per room?)

what time of year?

suze Jul 19th, 2013 11:16 AM

Wow, getting 100 people to a Caribbean island in an "affordable" way is going to be tricky. I don't know what to suggest.

As for time of year I would go with fall, winter, or spring (avoiding summer) for better weather, generally speaking.

suze Jul 19th, 2013 11:20 AM

oh, and would you consider Mexico? the Caribbean coast of Mexico called 'mayan riviera'? generally speaking it is less expensive and has more options for lodging than any of the smaller islands.

Bassguy66 Jul 19th, 2013 12:26 PM

If you really think you have a reasonable shot at getting 100 people to attend a wedding in the Caribbean, I would consider approaching a good travel agent, who might be able to get you a good deal due to the size of your booking.

I normally like to plan and book everything on my own, but for 100 people? No thanks. It really depends on your budget as well. Your post is so general, it's almost impossible to make a suggestion w/o knowing more details.

suze Jul 19th, 2013 12:37 PM

I agree. Usually a self-planner but I think this needs "professional help"... both for the travel arrangements but also as a wedding planner to help you thru any local regulations (it's a lot easier to get married in some places, than others).

Betttttttttty Jul 20th, 2013 07:44 AM

Thanks for the tips. I think you are right about a travel agent/wedding planner since we are starting from scratch. We're leaning toward DR or Puerto Rico bc we have some travelers who will enjoy feeling a little closer to home (PR) and DR sounds a little more affordable. Any ideas?

blamona Jul 20th, 2013 09:31 AM

Don't know what "affordable" is to you, we need to know more. There are small boutique type resorts, 40-50 rooms on every island. Some even have wedding packages or wedding planners.

What's per night per room? Makes a huge difference!

RoamsAround Jul 20th, 2013 01:08 PM

You really need to give us some idea of what "affordable" means to you and your guests. Without that basic information we are just guessing what island and/or resort might be suitable.

Help us help you - give us your budget.

suze Jul 20th, 2013 01:33 PM

I would back up and start with the wedding itself. If you are planning for a legal wedding (not just a ceremony) to take place in the Caribbean somewhere, I'd research which islands are the easiest to do that on first. Doesn't matter if you find a reasonably priced hotel that will hold your 100 guests, if you can't get married there.

blamona Jul 20th, 2013 07:10 PM

Suze, I don't understand your post? Every island in Caribbean has American vacationers getting married. Don't see how that makes a difference?

We really need a budget!

Oh, and keep in mind, don't know denomination, but Catholic orients can't marry on the beach! Don't know if that makes a difference to you.

suze Jul 21st, 2013 08:03 AM

blamona, All the islands have the same laws? There aren't any differing requirements for foreigners - how long you need to be on the island, or blood tests, or getting your paperwork in order for a legal marriage to take place, that kind of thing?

blamona Jul 21st, 2013 08:10 AM

yes, but they are similar, and many Americans get married at every island every year, so easy requirements seems relative?

txgirlinbda Jul 21st, 2013 11:10 AM

Suze's right, some islands are infinitely easier to get legally married on. Bermuda, for instance, allows all the preliminaries to be done through the mail, no blood test. Some places require you to be on-island for 3 days, file paperwork in person, etc before you can get married there. A lot of "American vacationers getting married" have actually done a civil service back home and are doing a "ceremony" on island, with no legal paperwork.

Betttttttttty Jul 21st, 2013 06:43 PM

ok - i think we could say 100-200 per night. blamona, what are some of the boutique hotels you are talking about? that sounds perfect.

GRwithAWayWeGoTravel Jul 24th, 2013 06:26 AM

If you work with an agent on a group, then depending on how big the group is and what resort you decide on, you can get group rates and SOMETIMES free rooms if you book so many rooms. I agree, stay away from summer time. Something to keep in mind is airfare. If you are not set on a particular location, look to see how easy/reasonably priced it is to fly from your local airport. That can make a difference in price...and while you may find reasonable accommodations, the airfare may be outrageous.

GRwithAWayWeGoTravel Jul 24th, 2013 06:28 AM

Here's an interesting article that you may find helpful.
http://destinationweddingdetails.com...-weddings.html

blamona Jul 24th, 2013 07:21 AM

Royal west indies in Turks and Caicos is that price range in NON peak season, and have "wedding packages).

For $100 you're going to spend a lot more than that on a wedding. Food at reception without drinks, will probably put you out about $15000 on any island.

I assume people will pay their own hotel?

A hundred person wedding in Caribbean might put you out $50,000-$60,000 just for wedding stuff. On any island. During non peak (may - mid December)

The trade off of being cheaper is that it's hurricane season, so while you're probably safe to have your wedding, I'd be stressed if 100 people depended on me and a hurricane is coming.

You really need expert help. Travel agent is a place to start. With a budget and time of year. Make sure everybody gets travel insurance if during huriccane season. Get a wedding planner (or visit where you pick at the start so you can coordinate it)

It can be done. I've traveled enough that I could do it. But it sounds like you haven't really been there, and are just starting to look into it.

That's why you need budget first, travel agent, wedding planner.

The cheaper destinations ($100-$200 nightly) are Dominican Republic and Mexico.

Boutique hotels, while many gorgeous ones, tend to cost more. Probably the $300-$400 nightly range

suze Jul 24th, 2013 08:07 AM

Would you consider Mexico? The Caribbean coast (called the Mayan Riviera) around Cancun, Playa del Carmen. There are lots of nice resorts there, less expensive than a similar property on a Caribbean island.

lana_aksman Sep 11th, 2013 04:36 AM

I am a travel agent and i work on tons destination weddings and all types of budgets. There are many options and perks including cash back free rooms etc for weddings. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like more info