Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to have a Caribbean wedding Aruba or Turks and Caicos?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Amy

The problem I am encountering with T/C is the waiting period. We would basically get married on our last day of the vacation, not very appetizing to me. People keep saying the Turks is an amazing place to see and I have already been to Aruba I did love it but am always interested in seeing a new place.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 02:45 PM
xxx

Well there are plenty of other choices out there. No that doesn't sound appealing to me to get married on the last day of the vacation. Why don't you try St. John's or Puerto Rico. If you love Aruba, I don't really think T&C compares with Aruba. Just my opinion.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Nancy

Tell me more about what your interests are for your wedding.<BR>Do you have a lot of guests?<BR>Do you want a beautiful beach?<BR>Do you want lots of activities?<BR>Should it be easy to get to?<BR>There are a lot of variables in the Caribbean.<BR>Do you want an authentic Caribbean experience or a more traditional (Americanized)wedding?<BR>Let us know more of what you are looking for...

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:11 PM
duh

Do you want a beautiful beach?<BR>No, I want a rock strewn beach where you can't swim and the sewage washes up. <BR>Should it be easy to get to?<BR>No, difficult that way no one can attend. <BR>Do you want an authentic Caribbean experience or a more traditional (Americanized)wedding?<BR>Would you care to explain the difference short of the fact that they no longer jump the broomstick in the islands and call it a wedding.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Rosanne

My sister was married this past June in Barbados and absolutely loved the whole thing. They rented a villa that came complete with a maid and a cook and enough bedrooms for about 8 family members. (I think that she and her new husband took off to another resort by themselves after the ceremony...) Something to consider.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:53 PM
leeann

I haven't done it yet, but after doing a lot of research we have selected Jamacia for our wedding this fall.<BR> It's pretty easy access for most of our guests coming from the east coast of the US. the flights were resonable, and so are the hotels!!! We picked Negril, we are having the wedding on the cliffs with our 35 guests- most are staying at the same hotel- The rockhouse about $90- 135 per night..per couple, and there are enough hotels in that range to stay close by if you or your guest want private time. Then we- plus a few guests, are staying on- on the beach side of Negril- Idle Away, it's part of the AI Couples resort, but it's not an AI and less expensive but looks great.<BR> I got great feed back on the Rockhouse from a friend that got married there- an they could afford more then us or what this is going to cost... I heard there food is the some of the best in negril, it being very romantic and different- outside showers -private villas.. were very excited and our friend seem to like the $ and that they can go for 4-5 days and it's only a 3-4 hour flight for most.<BR>We get back on NOv. 30th I'll post how it goes.<BR>Goodluck

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Susin

Leeann,<BR>I had a honeymoon in Negril. Beautiful beach! Jamaica is nice, but very very poor. Be ready to be haggled with if you leave your resort. We had some of the resort staff trying to sell us stuff and one wanted to buy my husbands sneakers! Off the resort, the literally swarm around you. I've also heard from other people that have gone that Jamaica can be violent...so please, enjoy, good luck and be careful!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:48 PM
anon

Oh my heavens Susin! Someone wanted to buy your husbands shoes in a very poor country? How dare they even fathom such a possibility? What is this world coming to when someone wants to buy someone elses shoes.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:41 AM
Sam

Anon: Some people just don't like to be solicited on a constant basis when on vacation, and you certainly wouldn't expect the staff to be doing the same. I feel the same way. Having been in that very position, it gets very old and aggravating after a while. Not that I don't have any compassion for their financial situation......but, c'mon.<BR><BR>Amy: I agree that getting married on the last day would be a little stressful and not as relaxing, wondering if your wedding will get pulled off before you take off. Not to mention, staying at least few days after the wedding makes a nice "built-in" honeymoon.