Where to go: Turks&Caicos or Riviera Maya?

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Cathy

Where to go: Turks&Caicos or Riviera Maya?

Hi there!!

I am planning surprise 40th birthday trip for my husband. We both LOVE to snorkel, swim, lay out, and eat (yes, I admit it!!

I came across two great deals from Newark, NJ - one to the The Sands at Grace Bay in T&C and one to the Paradisus Riviera Cancun (about 30 miles south of Cancun).

Both resorts seem very nice, however, the one in Mexico is All-Inclusive. Do you think this would be a better bargain (it is about $300 more pp than the other package).

But...I want to make sure I pick the place that has the best snorkeling and watersports activities. Can anyone shed some light on these two resorts and their surrounding areas?

I have started to do some research, but haven't found that much.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Patty

Turks, hands down, no comparson for snorkeling

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Nicole

Hi Cathy,

What a coincidence, I have just booked a surprise trip for my husband for Christmas.

I can't comment first hand about the Mayan Riviera but I have heard quite good things. My Mother stayed at the Bahia Principe and enjoyed it there.

In regards to T & C, however, we were there a year ago and it had to be the most beautiful place I have ever seen. We fell in love with the beaches, crystal clear water, clean! I believe the Sands is a bit more upscale than where we stayed,we were at the Allegro. I found it to be wonderful in Turks. As for food, I was very pleased. We stayed AI and the Allegro did a great job in the food category. I gained weight.

I imagine the Mexico trip is more of a bargain because if you don't go AI you will probably end up spending more than $300/pp for food/drinks in Turks. However, I have been to: Jamaica, Dominican, St. Martin, Cancun, Nassau, Grand Bahama Island and T & C and thought T & C was the most beautiful of them all. I am off to Antigua this month so we will see if I find a new favorite?

Bottom line is Turks offers the best of all of your wish list from what I can tell and if you think it's a great deal, it is a pricier Island so you may not get such a good rate later on whereas with the Mayan Riviera I suspect you'll always find something within a reasonable price range.

This is just my opinion, hopefully it helps you out a bit!

Good luck!

Dec 11th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Nancy

Cathy,
I would go with the Sands if I were you. I just returned from there, and the place is wonderful.
There are a lot of restaurants to choose from on T&C, and the snorkeling is excellent.
The Mayan Riviera area has a lot to do and see, and there are some great snorkeling spots in Akumal and along the southern coast, but having to choose between the two, I'd go with T&C.

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Cathy

Hi there again!!

Thank you SOOO much for the help - I really apperciate it.

It sounds like T&C is the way to go - I'm going to go over the packages again, and I'll let you know...

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:29 AM
eileen

I have been to both places and the beach and water is far superior in
T & C. You can walk for miles and there is hardly anyone on the beach. We liked the Mayan Riveria, but found the beach way too crowded for our taste (beachchair after beachchair all lined up in the section where all the AI's are).

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:31 AM
gwen

Cathy

Check out how much more it would be to fly from JFK. American has non-stop- direct flights certain days of the week out of JFK. I try to avoid the connection in Miami. I leave tomorrow and can't wait!

Dec 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
M

Gwen,
Where are you staying?We are going to
T&C today also!
Matt