Where to go to try scuba diving?

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Where to go to try scuba diving?

Hi,
My 20 year old son and 13 year old daughter would like to go to a location where we could do a "resort dive" to try diving.
We would be going this summer, so I imagine that we can get a pretty good off season price.

Please advise islands to look into.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:16 PM

I tried scuba first in Grand Cayman and liked it because we were able to dive right off shore. It was just less hassle than having to deal with a boat ride out to a reef. I also felt very safe - the dive shop was great - one guy spent the day with just two of us in a pool and then took us out. I couldn't clear my ears that day so he took my friend out and then took us both back the next day, free of charge, when we were both able to go. I was fine after a dose of antihistamine overnight.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:19 AM

I learned to dive at Beaches in Turks and Caicos, and had a really positive experience. They include diving in the cost of the resort. You can take a resort course(included), or pay an additional fee to get ceritifed(which I would recommend, since once you are certified you can dive other locations), resort courses are not portable. The diving in Turks is some of the best in the world, and the dive sites are close to the hotel(some not more than 10 minutes by boat. The resort is an all inclusive, I dont know the summer rates.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:14 AM

cpeicott; you could try the PADI Discover Scuba or Discover Scuba Diving programs by a qualified instructor at whatever resort you book into. It is a fast introduction into the ocean environment, and is too fast for some. Better to take the complete the entire PADI course, gradually. Often people don't have an enjoyable time when they dive into the open ocean after a quick pool course, and their perception of SCUBA diving is forever negative. But, most often it's a thrill, so the odds are in your favor; it depends on how much thrill-seeking your kids, especially the 13 year old, can handle! There are literally hundreds of PADI short resort courses offered around the Caribbean. Ask if the resort course is PADI certified; if not, go elsewhere. The PADI Instructor will follow you and your kids and stick with you in the open ocean. With a reputable PADI resort course, you'll learn all the basic concepts and skills in the resort pool first before jumping ito to open ocean. At times, some younger children don't make it through the pool session. And, some of the skills you learn in the pool session can be applied to full certification when you arrive back in the states and take the full PADI course. So, ask: Does the resort course have a certified PADI instructor? What skills can you learn in to pool session to apply to a future PADI certification course? How deep will the open water be like, and what will the dive site factors be? (current, water temp, reef environment, etc.) The minimum age is 10, so you're covered there. Remember to leave only bubbles on our coral reefs! Robert
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:11 AM

On Harbour Island in the Bahamas there's a wonderful Dive company called Valentine's, well known in the diving community.

They offer a resort course and PADI certification if you are there long enough. They also have snorkle trips and you can snorkle right off the beach as well.

Several nice places to stay on island, some great restaurants, amazing dive sites, like a Civil War TRAIN, yup a train, on it's way to Cuba bought by a weathly plantation owner and it sunk on a barge in a very bad storm. Makes for an amazing dive site 100 or so years later.

If you are interested you might try the www.briland.com site for phone numbers and pictures of the island and places to stay.

Also I might add there is NO CRIME on island, no beach vendors, it's very safe for your kids.

Have a great vacation.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:09 PM

The Train Wreck on Eleuthera would be OK because it slopes from only several feet to 30 feet. But, the location, just north of Preacher's Cove, makes it vulnerable to surge. If no recent storms occurred, it would be nice. But, the dive op most likely has the safest sites they would have you do the open water dive in. They know the places for beginners and advanced divers. Eleuthera's Atlantic side is where most of the diving is, but inside the protective Devil's Backbone reef system, which stretches 7 miles. Thus, the dives there can have very strong surges to none at all on calm days. You'd have to take a chance on that one. They call the area Devil's Backbone due to the knife sharp coral reefs, which brought many ships down that wantsomesun alluded to. I'm sure, though, that Valentine's Dive Op would assure your safety. Eleuthera, though, has some strong drifts of ocean currents passing by. Robert