where to go on vacation in April?

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

where to go on vacation in April?

We are planning a vacation for April 2005 with our 12 and 17 year olds. I have been spending alot of time at tripadvisor and am really confused. Should we go to Turks and Caicos, St. Lucia, Los Cabos, the coices are endless. We don't want a place like Beaches or the Atlantis - way too busy, but, we don't want the kids to be bored either. We want a beautiful beach with fun watersports, great restaurants, a beautiful resort with lovely accomodations. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM

For an active resort you might look into the Bitter End Yacht Club (beyc)in Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands--lot of watersports offered for the entire family. We stayed in Tortola last year and had a great time. Easy access to other islands.
You might also consider St. Thomas where there are a lot of activities--Secret Harbour or the Ritz Carlton are nice properties. Spend some time in nearby St. John which is a beautiful island. We took a catamaran from St. Thomas to St. John for a few hours to snorkle.
The Renaissance in Aruba offers their own private island which you go over by small boat from Oranjestad. There's a ton of things to do in Aruba-- our favorite island. We have stayed at this property when it was the Sonesta. Dining is hard to beat in Aruba with so many good restaurants to choose from.
Good luck!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:32 AM

You should also check out Grand Cayman.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Out of your original 3 choices, definitely go with T&K. (I wouldn't bring teens to either St. Lucia or Mexico, although I know plenty of people do.) T&K is a popular family destination at my daughter's HS, and both parents and teens are happy upon return.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:34 AM

For April 2005, be conscious that Easter is really early this year, which can work in your favour.

Some hotels lower rates for summer on April 15th (or even April 30th), while others will drop rates as early as April 2nd (right after Easter weekend)

It can make quite a lot of difference to the price of your April vacation.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

Dreamer2~ I am curious about why you would not take teens to Mexico? We are considering the Playa del Carmen area for our next vacation, we have 16 & 20 year old sons. Could you expand on this please.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM

There are many beautiful areas and gorgeous resorts in Mexico, but I have a personal aversion to the country generally due to a family member's horrific experience. (Illogical, I know. But with all the other places available to vacation, I have no need to put it on my list.) I wouldn't take my teens because I would not want them to go back alone for a spring break type of experience. Reports are probably exaggerated, but it does not look like a safe spring break venue for young girls. That's not to say they wouldn't go on their own at a later date, but I would not set precedent by bringing them there. (Kind of the same reasoning that prevented me from buying an adorable denim jacket with glittery martinis and the slogan "It's 5:00 somewhere.")
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:14 PM

I think T&C has a wonderful beach and it is a favorite for relaxing but to bring teens there??? It is a very quiet place with the airport as being the best place to shop. I think an AI in the Playda Del Carmen area would be a fun time for a family. Trust me I think your teens would be bored to death in T&C. Another thought is St. Thomas. You can go to St. John's. St. Lucia is a lush Island but not a great beach at all. I would not eliminate Aruba.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM

We have traveled to Mexico several times - three times to Playa del Carmen, although we don't stay in AI's we run into lots of people that do when they come into town from the resorts and also on day trips that we take - and there are a lot of families. I would think that your teens would love it in the Mayan Riviera (much nicer than Cancun - and without all of the partying spring breakers)- with kids I would think that an AI would work best. If you do decide to go Mexico - check out the day trips with alltournative tours (www.alltournative.com). We have gone on two of them - your kids would like it. The Coba tour takes you to the ruins and then inland where you can repel down into a cenote and zip line across a lake. Another tour takes you kayaking out to a reef for snorkeling and then inland where you get to go cave snorkeling (awesome). Also within close proximity to this area is Tulum and Xel Ha. Another option for a day trip is a trip to Cozumel. We took a dune buggy tour of the island a few years back - a lot of fun.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!