Need Advice: Family Island Vacation Round 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our last family vacation was in 2013 and we went to Beaches T&C. It was the best vacation we ever had. Everything was amazing. I am shopping now again for Q1 2016. Any suggestions? It will be my wife and I, plus our 2 teenage sons. We loved Beaches because of many things to do and the many places to eat. The beach was great also. Beaches T&C was a little pricey, but was great.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 05:48 AM

Do you have an actual dollar budget? All you've told us is you think "Beaches T&C was a little pricy". How much do you want to spend?

1Q 2016 is "High Season" so accommodations for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (considered "adults" for pricing purposes at most resorts) could end up being "pricey".

St.Martin could fit your needs: Plenty of restaurants around the island and you could stay in a 2 or 3 BR condo which will give you the amenities of a resort as well as the convenience and extra space of an apartment. Cost wise rental condos are often less than booking similar accommodations at a full service resort/hotel. The island has offers lots of activities, water sports and excursions that will be of interest to both adults and teenagers.

If your budget allows, consider chartering a "crewed sailboat" in the British Virgin Islands. You'll be able to sail to different anchorages/islands everyday sometimes making additional stops along the way, you'll be able to take meals onboard as well as dine at different restaurants and beach bars whenever you want and everyone will be able to swim, snorkel, sail, do land hikes and explore to their heart's content. It's a perfect way for an active family to uniquely experience a Caribbean Vacation.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

The last trip to Beaches was over $10k. Although it was great, that's not cheap. I don't have an exact figure in mind, but I'd like a similar experience. We liked the variety of things to do and the food/drink was excellent. All-inclusive is attractive for us because of that.

I have been searching for some prices in various resorts and they seem to range from mid $5k's to $10k.

I think my bottom line is that I want a great vacation like last time, and if I can save a few bucks then great. Last time it was over $10k.

Here are some places I priced, only because I looked at the offerings/pictures/ratings. I have no experience with any of these. These are the starting prices, including airfare.

Punta Cana
Hard Rock = $5500
Barcelo Bavaro = $6000
Royalton = $6600
Dreams = 7400

Mexico
Grand Palladium Myan Riviera = $5500

Aruba
Divi = $6200

Turks & Caicos
Beaches = $8500

Hawaii (NOT inclusive)
Embassy Suites Oahu = $5700
Waikoloa Marriott Big island = $5800
Sheraton Kauai = $6500
Marriott Kauai = $7300
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 07:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I love Hawaii, it is incredibly diverse but very different from the Caribbean. And each of those 4 islands is different one from the other, so that's another decision if you pick Hawaii.

Not a fan of Punta Cana since people tend to stick to their resorts, not really get out and experience the island.

I think any place on the Mayan Riviera is worth a look, and Mexico will generally give you 'more bang for your buck' than either the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Yeh Hawaii is on my list to consider, but I know it will be a lot different. What bothers me about Hawaii is the cost, travel time, etc. It sounds like all the cool stuff in Hawaii will cost, plus food wont be cheap. That makes it more $$ than most. It does seem awesome though.

For Caribbean, I have been 2 places in my life, Beaches T&C and Atlantis Bahamas. Both were great. Its nice having everything at your fingertips and all the activities without having to find them or pay someone.

If I did not do Beaches T&C, I am trying to figure out what else I should consider. I see Beaches Ocho Rios is a lot cheaper right now, plus the places I listed before. Just don't know which places are worth it or not.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM
WWK

I'm not a fan of Ocho Rios for a lot of reasons. Since you like AIS, check out BEACHES Negril, which fronts an absolutely gorgeous stretch of beach.

You don't really need AI in Negril because food/entertainment is very reasonable, but if you like that kind of thing, that property may fit the bill, although Jamaica is not as upscale as T&C.

IF you would consider smaller simpler boutique hotels right on the best part of the beach, look at: COCO LA PALM, IDLE AWHILE ( more upscale than COCO) and THE CHARELA INN.

Or, on the cliffs ( if you don't need beachfront) look at TENSING PEN or MOONDANCE.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:05 AM

<It sounds like all the cool stuff in Hawaii will cost, plus food wont be cheap.>

Well since I don't know your location I can't speak to flight time. But Hawaii does not have to cost more than the Caribbean. It's all a matter of what you choose to see and do, where you stay, where you eat.

Not that you want to do this, but I can vacation on Oahu for the same price as I go to Mexico, for the same amount of time. But I do things like go to the beach, the farmers markets, ride The Bus, visit botanical gardens and museums, all no or low cost activities. Sure if you want to take helicopter rides and eat at the very best restaurants then you could spend a bundle. But you don't have to for a quality experience.

In Jamaica Negril is where I love. I agree with the suggestions from WWK above. I really like the Charela Inn or its sister hotel Mirage on the cliffs, and Tensing Pen is truly amazing! Mirage and Tensing Pen is where I was my last time in Negril.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:07 AM

Oh I didn't really address the food costs in Hawaii...

There are loads of great cheap places to eat if you're willing to go local & casual. Including the shrimp trucks, food courts, different ethnic & island places, farmers markets, the grocery store, etc.

Even if you want to eat at nicer restaurants, a view of the beach, or whatever, there are still many options that won't break the bank.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I am still researching for other peoples experiences. Still on the fence between Hawaii and Caribbean. Hawaii seems beautiful, but a little pricey if you do a lot of things. Caribbean has more options and has all the AI places, but I want to find a good place, like we had at Beaches T&C. The convenience, relaxation, activities, and food factor at the AI was off the chart, but the pictures of all the mountains/volcanoes at Hawaii looks great too.

My oldest son is 17 and leaving for college this year. This is one of the last family vacations we will take, so I want it to me memorable....and not empty the bank account while doing it lol.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 01:41 PM

<Hawaii seems beautiful, but a little pricey if you do a lot of things.>

The Caribbean can be just as expensive if you "do a lot of things" there. I'm not lobbying for Hawaii (lol) just don't dismiss it as being more expensive than a Caribbean island, because it's not, or does not have to be.

btw~~ Hawaii IS beautiful (not "seems" or "looks") it *IS* amazing.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

We have not been to Hawaii, but it does look beautiful.