Where to go next Christmas

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Where to go next Christmas

I am seriously considering throwing the Christmas 2010 towel in and heading south with my partner and our two uni aged children. I have travelled Europe and Asia and to Cuba once last March with our son. The Caribbean is not my area of expertise, but I'd like to change that next December. What I'm looking for is suggestions. Here's my wish list. A beautiful beach to read by and swim in, some decent restaurants to frequent, or markets in which to purchase foods and prepare. I'd not say no to an all-inclusive. There is absolutely no need for entertainment, despite travelling with two uni aged kids. They actually like spending time quietly. We'll be flying out of Toronto, which has many flights to many Caribbean destinations. The silver lining to living in an at-times inhospitable (meteorlogically speaking) country. Happy New Year to all and thank you in advance for all your collective wisdom.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Your wish list describes almost every major Caribbean island since it is so very general. Try doing a bit of basic "reading" research about the major islands to determine which ones appeal to you. Go to the destinations link at the top of this page. Click through to the"Caribbean" - read the summaries of each island (they are all different and no one island "has it all". After reading the summaries you should be able to narrow your choices to 2 or 3 islands. Once you do that you can begin researching hotels/resorts that are in your budget range.

Sorry, don't have any idea what "uni aged kids" means so it is difficult to recommend places that might be suitable for your family.

FYI - when posting questions on this forum you'll get more responses if you give specifics about your ages, the ages of your children, your likes, dislikes, budget for accomodations, meals, airfare, etc. The more information you supply the easier it will be for contributors to steer you in the right direction - we are not mind readers.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM

what are "uni aged kids"?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM

uni aged kids = university aged (late teens/early 20s?) I believe

Grenada might be a good fit. Pretty beaches, decent restaurants, and local markets to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and spices to prepare your own meal. There is a wide variety of accommodations in all price ranges. There are other things to do besides laying on the beach, including hiking and tours to see spice plantations.

I believe there is a direct service on Air Canada from Toronto to Grenada during the high season, which the Christmas season falls in.

There was a recent article in the USA Today written by caroundtheworld here on Fodor. Try searching for it to get the link.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much mymoosie. And, yes, it's a commonly known term (or so I thought) for university age. I've used the forum many times, but apparently the European travellers are more conducive to answering open-ended requests. Maybe RoamsAround had a bad Christmas, or perhaps he/she just needs to work on their "tone" in responses. Or, here's a suggestion, let the need to post a prejorative FYI go and just don't reply. Namaste.