Where to go in the Carribean??

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in the Carribean??

Hi, my boyfriend are tired of the New England climate, we have never been to the Carribean and have found there are too many choices.

We are definatley on a budget, we'd like to stay under $1200 per person. Travel for 5-7 days.

1. Should we do all inclusive?
2. We want a safe place where we can enjoy the resort or venture out.
3. Any suggestions for how or where to find good prices on vacation packages?
We don't really have much interest in going to Puerto Rico or Jamaica?

Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM
KVR

For that price range I would suggest Mexico. Cozumel, Playa del Carmen or Cancun. Most people do not recommend AI, but we love them. It you like to eat and drink on vacation its a good value. However, it you pick a hotel close to the main areas there are some really great resturants to try. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Good places to cheack for vacations is www.beachdestinations.com. www.locogringo.com, www.playa.info. We booked our last trip to Cancun in April from Orbitz. They were having a $200 off special.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:14 AM

For that budget you'll probably have to go during the off season. My girlfriend and I are tired of the New England climate also. We booked a 7 night stay in Playa del Carmen, at La Tortuga Hotel, WITH full airport transfer for 1,400. So $700 each. Now comes the plane ticket But we booked the nicest room they had. So that would easily fit into your budget.
Also, not sure why you're not interested in Jamaica? Went there last year, to Negril, and it's very affordable, and not to mention, absolutely beautiful. And of the places I've been, it has one of the best "Caribbean" feels and vibes! Also, try www.skyauction.com that sometimes has great opportunities! I've found though it's cheaper to look for deals on your own and dealing directly with the hotel where you want to stay! Best of luck!
-chgeeb from Boston
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM

agree playa del carman area will give you most bang for your buck. start by looking around www.locogringo.com and reading fodor's mexico threads on the latin america board. type things like playa del carmen, akumal, tulum in the search box. isla mujeres is a very small island just off cancun, and is relatively inexpensive. not much to do there except great snorkeling, rent golf carts not cars, really safe.
i stayed south of pdc near tulum, in a villa on tankah bay beach, w/a girlfriend & her 75 yr old mom. we rented a car, drove around, did all sorts of stuff and felt safe at all times.
if you are a bit adventurous there are small cabana style hotels in tulum that can be very inexpensive.
for packages check out apple vacations, tnt vacations and gwv vacations.
this area is beautiful, with nice white sandy beaches, good snorkeling/diving, ruins, active stuff like zip-lines and atv jungle tours, good shopping, golf...and some swell food.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

For first-timers, one of the places I always suggest is PR. Why not ? Great historical cities (Old San Juan & Ponce), Forts, rain forests (El Yunque), surfers haven (Rincon), some of the best/most undiscovered places (Culebra & Vieques) + great food & people.