Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on St. John other than Honeymoon Cottage for 2 people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all the great advice here, my husband and I went to St. John a couple of years ago for a week -- we rented Honeymoon Cottage near Francis Bay and had a great time. We are thinking of going back to St. John at some point in the next year (or are also open to considering BVI) and would like ideas on where to stay. We would definitely consider Honeymoon Cottage again but are open to other ideas too. We definitely do not want to be in Cruz Bay -- we prefer quieter areas with more privacy and like to hear the sounds of nature rather than lots of neighbors or traffic noise. We loved the location of Honeymoon Cottage (partly because of its proximity to Waterlemon and other great snorkeling), would also consider something around Bordeaux Mtn, or Coral Bay or elsewhere as long as there is a nice view of the water. We would rent a 4wd as we did last time and we don't mind driving to restaurants etc. Money is not a huge issue but would like to keep it around $3000/wk or so. A small pool or jacuzzi would be a bonus as would proximity to the beach and hikes. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thx in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM

Do you have any idea what time of year you want to go? The price differences in the villa's is pretty signifigant based on time of year.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM

I can recommend Coconut Hill cottage, we have not stayed there but took a tour by the owners between guests. It has a small pool and what I consider better views since looks towards the BVIs. Large master bedroom and a smaller second bedroom. There is a sleeping loft above the living/kitchen area. This cottage is much better than shown on the web site.

http://www.vrbo.com/115186

I mentioned Coconut Hill on a recent kayak trip and within a week she had booked it for her family's trip in December.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I can recommend a lovely cottage in Coral Bay, up a bit with a spectacular view of the bay.

We have stayed there twice and it is new and has everything you will need except no pool.

It won't cost you a lot either.
Here are some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/PalmCottage

http://www.vrbo.com/162906

The owners, who are longtime friends of ours, are great hosts.

Deb
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM

This is a great thread with pics of views from the different villas on STJ.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...er=asc&start=0

Maybe this will help guide your search
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM

bren,
what a marvelous site! Those pictures are heavenly! I wanna go right now!
Deb
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Hi Lisa,
You may want to look into Virgin Gorda as well if you like the quietness of the Coral Bay side of St. John. VG is less developed than St. John and very laid back. I'm just thinking for something new if you want to check it out. I loved both islands though
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I much prefer Virgin Gorda over St. John. St. John is becoming more and more over developed.

I was on Virgin Gorda last February and I fell in love with it. Very quiet and still not a ton of development.

I stayed in this villa on St. John last November. It is located in Point Redezvous and is called Miles Away. It is a 2 bedroom house and it is wonderful! Everything is brand new and spotless. Great pool too!

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/miles_away.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

For people who are suggesting Virgin Gorda, are there any particular small villas or cottages you would recommend?
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM

We rented a villa on Mahoe Bay, Caribbean Wind, but I believe they are all fairly large and $$$. Do a search on this forum for VG, and there is a lot of info on villa rentals. I think you would love it! If you'd like I can post the link to our pics of it.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM

These get consistently good rewiews and won't break the bank.

http://www.guavaberryspringbay.com/index.htm

As kellybeaches states, Mahoe Bay area is pricey.

http://www.virgingordabvi.com/bayvillas.php?bay=mb
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM

What about the small waterside cottages at Mango Bay Resort on VG? I have not been there yet but am booked for April. We got married in St. John 8 years ago and love it but are looking for a quieter, more laid back place so we are looking forward to our first visit to VG.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM

I highly recommend Waterlemon Villa in Coral Bay. If you go to my website, you can see pictures that will include the amazing view of Coral Bay Harbor from this house. The web site is:
http://sites.google.com/site/NoManchanilla.

Waterlemon not only has amazing views, but also has a pool.
The website for the villa is: www.waterlemonvillastjohn.com

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM

brenandg, great link. thanks for posting it.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM

If you like something out of the way but still convenient and has drop dead views, look into "Siempre Azul". It's one of the few waterfront properties and is perfect for two. It's right off the road so it's also very easy to access but it's out in Friis Bay part of Coral Bay so it's pretty quiet.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 01:20 AM

I'd recommend that you try something other thanHoneymoonCottage as its views are mediocre at best, there is no pool, etc. (Slightly off topic, but possibly relevant,I stayed i the same cul de sac next door at Villa Serenity and while i thought the location was ok, the house itself left MUCH to be desired, and the vews were nothing special.)
If you want spectacular views and a small pool, a feeeling of remoteness (not surrounded by totehr cottages or vilas) and a Caribbean feel, i second Roberto's recommendation of Coconut Hill Cottage on Bordeaux Mt, above Coral Bay. You can read reviews of it from other travelers via the Homeaway posting they have.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM

We, too, stayed at Siempre Azul last Feb. and loved it. So romantic, nice hot tub and outdoor shower, beautiful area to sit right on the ocean with view of Coral Bay. Quiet, yet not too far to good food - Miss Lucy's, Shipwreck - wonderful! Nice owner, good coffee.Very private.Highly recommend it.