Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to go in DR for nice beaches, fun nightlife?

Aug 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

We are planning a trip for next year and were thinking of going to the Dominican Republic. What is the best spot to go for nice beaches and fun nightlife? We REALLY love Playa del Carmen, Mexico for the reasons I just listed...
When looking into DR I saw a lot of resorts in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata (among others).
What spot would be your pick?
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM

I, like you love Playa del Carmen. I have steered away from DR as everyone I know who has been there says it is beautiful, but there is nothing to do outside the resort and excursions. A good friend who went to Playa with me stayed at the Paradissus in DR, but said she couldn't really leave the the resort. Negril, Jamaica has some fun nightlife and if you are along 7 mile beach it is very safe. I think parts of mexico are unique in the quaint village feel that is very safe and fun with lots of nightlife.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM

I have to agree. You have to stay put on the resorts. You can book some tours with the resort you are staying on but it is nothing like Mexico. Not at all.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM

In DR I suggest not to stay at a resort. Stay is a small local hotel and get out and hang with the locals. There is so much to do. The beaches are great. There is diving, snorkeling, fishing. There are caves, deserts and rain forests. For partying go to the capital Santo Domingo. Here you can find 1st class bars and restaurants and the local places inexpensive places (which I prefer). Just go th any corner store (Colmado) get a few drinks and share with the locals and make your own party.
Go to Boca Chica beach and go snorkeling. Go to Cabarete and go parasailing. Don't go to a resort, they'er boring.
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:42 AM

For nightlife and non-resort hotels, the best destination is really the North Coast, particularly Cabarete, which has a strong independent scene that draws a lot of backpackers and windsurfers. There's plenty of nightlife to go around here. Santo Domingo has a lot of nightlife as well as cheap luxury hotels, but Boca Chica is the closest beach, and it's beyond the airport.

A lot of people like the all-inclusive resorts in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, but you are pretty much limited to what's available at your resort.

Instead of the DR, I'd recommend you take a look at either Montego Bay or Negril in Jamaica. Jamaica has a really good combination of lively nightlife and excellent beaches.