Search

Where to go from DC last minute?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Doh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go from DC last minute?

My wife and I were hoping to go away someplace warm for four nights (to celebrate our anniversary, sans kid). Since we only have 4 nights, we were hoping to find a nice resort somewhere in the Caribbean we could fly to nonstop from either IAD or BWI, but the more we look, the less likely that seems (there are nonstop charters to the DR, but they seem to be for 3 nights, or the week).

So my first question is whether anyone can suggest a fairly nice place we could reach fairly quickly (preferably nonstop)? We are open to doing nothing, or being active outdoors, beach or pool, AI or not, etc., as long as the place is pretty nice with decent food. (We have been to Aventura Spa Palace on the Mayan Riviera (before the kid), as well as rentals in St. John and St. Barth.)

Second question is that we were hoping to go in mid-Jan. (MLK weekend). At this point, would we be better off waiting even longer and just picking a last minute deal? Are those last minute deals available on more upscale places?

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM

My favorite deep winter escape from the DC area is Puerto Rico; AA offers a 3.5 hour non-stop flight from BWI or IAD which leaves before 8 a.m. and arrives SJU around lunch time (the return flight leaves in the evening, so you make the most of your visit).

There are lots of nice resorts in Puerto Rico, from cosmopolitan spots right in San Juan but on the beach (e.g. the Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde), to mega resorts like El Conquistador near Fajardo, to exclusive retreats like the Horned Dorset near Rincon.

Of course, in January (just a few weeks away!), availability may be tight, at least on the better non-stop flights. I don't think that the hotels are that tightly booked, however.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM

you can get non-stop from dc to jamaica on airjamaica flt#40 ret #41
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Doh
Original Poster

Thanks! I had thought about PR, but I think I forgot to check the flights using WAS, and only checked IAD, and they came up as either unavailable or outrageously expensive (I can't remember).

Now the question is whether if we go to PR we want to go to Vieques (Hix House sounds pretty tempting) or Culebra, but of course that would contradict our original nonstop goal. Jamaica's another possibility if we can find a reasonable airfare and a place we like.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM

The Washington Post had an article earlier this year that identified nonstop locations from DC. Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030200426.html
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM

check our trip report for Vieques-- convenient and a pleasant surprise! we have been to several other islands (elbow cay bahamas, st. john, st. martim, roatan and to costa rica) and found this was a quick almost non-stop get-away.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Jamaica has some great places. The Caves would be at the top of the list, but I know they don't have availability. Check Rockhouse or Tensing Pen. Jamaican Inn gets wonderful reviews too. I've heard there are some wonderful AI places there, but I tend to go to smaller places. Flights are daily out of BWI