Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

where to go for seclusion and bungalows?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to the caribbean and don't know where to start. My husband and I are looking for a small resort, private bungalows, good snorkeling, and private beach. I want to be spoiled! Please help! We will be traveling in August. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM

hi marnie - fodorites love to help. unless you stay on a private island there are no private beaches. you might start by picking up a copy of caribbean travel&life(at the back are webs for every island).
what kind of budget will you have for how long. do you need the tropical look? some islands are fairly "americanized" some are not. does spoiled mean familiar foods & no cooking, plenty of shopping or somebody to spritz you while you lay on the beach? there are 2-3 places on st. lucia that have the bungalow/ spoiled thing but not the snorkeling.
the caymans and turks&caicos have outstanding snorkeling and beaches. and mr bransons 'necker island' has the private beach - but at 25G a week i feel like i can share my space.
also every island has beachfront villas for rent and many of those come with cooks and maids. just type in villas for rent on ???(pick your island) on yahoo or google.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Virginia!
I do like the tropical look. I would like the resort to have it's own restaurant or one nearby.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Oh yeah,
We'd like to stay about a week. We're not shopppers so somebody to spritz while laying on the beach sounds perfect. We're not really interested in renting a villa. 25g a week is way too much! We can afford about $300 per night. Maybe more if it meets our expectations!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:27 AM

Punta Caracol, Bocas del Toro, Panama
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I would suggets Ti Kaye Village Resort in St. Lucia. We are going there for our honeymoon in August. It's an isolated resort on the west coast of St. Lucia. There are individual cottages and in your price range you could have a plunge pool on your deck. The snorkelling is supposed to be impressive. The beach however, is not private (none of the beaches are in St. Lucia) and in the afternoons it is not uncommon for tourists to stop by the beach. For us, the resort looked like the perfect place for relaxed seclusion at a reasonable price. Hope it helps!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:25 AM

How about Romora Bay on Harbour Island in the Bahamas, it has just about all you are looking for and the villas overlook the water. There is an excellent restaurant on site, a lovely pool deck area and beautiful surroundings.

Romora also has a dive/snorkle outfit onsite, so you can go out with them to some of the best dive snorkle sites in the carribean, including a train. Yes I said train. It's a civl war train, that was sunk on a barge in a hurricane. It's in about 30 feet of water and makes for an amazing dive site 100 years later.

The website is www.romorabay.com

August in the carribean is HOT, and the sun is very direct so bring TONS of sunscreen.

Have a great time whereever you choose to go.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Based on friends' reviews and reviews here, I recommend The Meridian Club/Turks & Caicos.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM

marnie:

Check www.jamaicainn.com. The Jamaica Inn delivers on just about every one of your criteria. The rooms are almost like bungalows -- you'll see when you get to their site.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Check out Petit St.Vincent, Palm Island, and Saltwhistle Bay Club, all in the Grenadines, and south of the hurricane belt. PSV will be the priciest, but spoil you the most.