Out Islands Cell Phone Coverage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if cell phones work on Eleuthera, specifically the Governor's Harbour area? My phone is a quad band GSM phone, which works everywhere in the world (except Brazil and Japan), but has the 21st Century even reached this part of the world? Thanks.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM

GSM has not hit the out islands yet. (and work sporatically in Nassau)
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I am not a technical wizard so may not be answering your question...

My husband and I just returned yesterday from Harbour Island. We each have cell phones--one with Cingular service (which usually stinks) and the other with Verizon. Neither worked except "analog". We didn't try using the phones for fear the analog charge would be horrendous. And people in the states could not reach us.

My husband also has a Treo (sp?) and that didn't work. Thank goodness our hotel had a wireless connection in the lobby that did work.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Cvechko

Not sure about Eleuthera. We have AT&T/Cingular and our cells worked in all the Virgin Islands last February. (We don't have GSM). We stayed a week at Anegada & had cell coverage (and that is a very remote island). However, to use our phones, we had to "buy" temp cell coverage (when we tried to call out some phone co intercepted our call - we had to give them our credit card number etc). It worked out OK however calls were something like $4 per minute.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:49 AM

I can't talk about Eleuthera, but we were in Abacos last year and my Cingular Cellphone worked (very clear connection etc) but my hustbands Sprint did not work. I had a regular phone. I can't remember the charges but somewhere around a couple buck a min.