Search

barbados walking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barbados walking

Hi
We are in Barbados (prior to a cruse) this coming June and both keen on walking. Has anyone been on any guide led walks on the Island? Would you recommend them?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
KVR

I did a Google search and found several walking tours of Bridgetown and a few hiking tours.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KVR, I guess I was hoping that people who had actually been on the walks could share their experiences.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
KVR

I really don't think it's a popular activity unlike snorkeling with the turtles, Island tours, rum tours and the Harrison caves. I even looked on Trip Advisor and couldn't find much.
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM

You might find some walking excursions listed at the tour desk when you get to your hotel. Perhaps your tour operator can give you that info before you get there if you are short of time.
As Barbados is quite flat and has the undeveloped east side, I would think walking tours would be great. On our visits we rented a car and stopped at interesting places around the island to walk around. There are historical sites all around.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:19 AM

Barbados is a wonderfully varied island, including some hilly areas. There are at least one set of organized hikes, graded by difficulty, on Sundays. See http://www.barbados.org/hike.htm
Places along the west coast have a boardwalk for considerable stretches along the ocean also. You can self hike as well in places like Welshman's Gully and Flower Forest.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM

Barbados.org hiking page is a great reference for guided hikes. I would think these would be quite interesting as the Barbados National Trust responsible for preserving much island heritage organises them . Also if you call ahead you can request a guided walk of Welchman Hall Gully. Andromeda gardens is also a beautiful self guided walking trail, actually I would recommend this above the others, reason being it is on the rustic hilly east coast of the island which is beautiful and quaint to explore , local food shops and bars, little fishing villages, a few picnic parks and just a great island experience surrounds the actual attraction so I think you get more of the island culture on a visit to that side of Barbados, only thing this would be a self guided adventure.

Andromeda gardens itself offers a 6 acre beautiful botanical garden to meander . Hope this helps.

Happy travels
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - that's fantastic, the links took me to a very interesting page on hiking.
Best wishes