Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to Go?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-go-225600/)

efp May 27th, 2002 08:34 PM

Where to Go??

My husband and I are planning a caribbean trip and we're soliciting suggestions on where to go. We want something that is not too touristy, has an exotic flavor and is peaceful. We'd like it to be on a beach where we can open the doors and be cooled by the breeze. We'd also like some other options on the island, e.g. hiking, snorkeling, horseback riding. And of course, the price cannot be prohibitive -- so I guess Peter's Island is out!! Thanks in advance for all of the help.

CREOLINE May 28th, 2002 01:20 AM

Hello<BR><BR>What do you think about St Bart<BR>A romantic cottage in tropical garden whith pool<BR>You can see it on <BR> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cottages-les-creolines/<BR>Contact me for special summer rates

Nancy May 28th, 2002 05:14 AM

I was reading about a place in my Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine that is rated as one of the "100 Most Romantic Small Hotel and Places in the World"--the Rum Point Inn in Placentia Belize. Situated on 10 acres with luxiurious landscaping on a large white sand beach--rooms include suites/cottages airy and spacious with hammocks on patios--tours arranged to wildlife sanctuary and jaguar reserve, cruise down the Monkey River to see howler monkeys, exotic birds, and maya ruins. Padi diving, snorkling etc . on premises. This is definitely exotic, we're adding it to our list of maybe trips in the future. Also meals included with plan--only $235 for 2 people with meals/hi-season! See website --rumpoint.com or type in Rum Point Inn, Belize using Google. Travel months for Belize are November-March for best weather.

X May 28th, 2002 05:46 AM

Where can I find out more about those "100 Most Romantic Small Hotel and Places in the World" from Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine??? Does anyone know where it might be listed on the internet??

Maureen May 28th, 2002 05:50 AM

Check out Island Hideaways Villa Rentals at islandhideaways.com--you might like quieter islands like Virgin Gorda--beautiful beaches--snorkle at the Baths--affordable 1 bedroom villas on beach. Also, Tamarindo Estates on the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico--sweeping views of the ocean in lush hillside location. Type out Tamarinda Estates, Culebra Puerto Rico using Lycos or Google.

jamaicjaim May 28th, 2002 05:52 AM

Here is a link to CL&T:<BR><BR>http://www.caribbeantravelmag.com/CT...-0-0-0,00.html

X May 28th, 2002 06:05 AM

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't find the article. Can anyone name a few more of the small hotels on the list? Any in Bermuda, Barbados, Puerto Rico? Or does anyone know how I can find the list? Thanks . . .

Sharon May 28th, 2002 08:03 AM

I found romantic resorts in the Caribbean within a budget by using Google and typing out "Best inexpensive resorts in the Caribbean" and when it opened I went into "Caribbean Beaches and Resorts"--advice and information on romantic places for honeymoons or vacation.

Barb May 28th, 2002 10:23 AM

I have a book "Caribbean Hideaways--The 100 Most Romantic Places to Stay" by Ian Keown. Some properties listed not on luxury scale (although some close) are: Casa de Campo- D.R., The Bucaneer-St. Croix, Long Bay Beach Resort-Tortola BVI, The Sugar Mill-Tortola, Guana Island Club-Guana Island BVI, Paradise Beach Resort-Virgin Gorda BVI, Frenchman's Cay Hotel-Tortola, The Mariners-Anguilla, La Sirena-Anguilla, Montpelier Plantation Inn-Nevis, Hotel le Bakoua-Martinique, Auberge de la Vielle-Tour-Guadeloupe, Emeraude Plage or Le Village St. Jean both in St. Barts, Mount Irvine Bay Hotel-Tobago, East Winds Inn-St. Lucia, Grand View Beach Hotel-St. Vincent, Frangipani-Bequia, Secret Harbour-Grenada, Twelve Degrees North-Grenada, Avila Beach Hotel-Curacao. <BR>Some listed are "added attractions" but all recommended. You can find out more info by just typing out resort and island by using Google or Lycos. Also, Where2Stay.com has some travelers reviews and rates. Good luck!

patty May 28th, 2002 02:53 PM

try this website for 100 of the most small romantic hotels, inns & places in the world: www.romanticplaces.com/map.html<BR><BR>try this website for best romantic inns & hotels: www.bestromanticinns.com (site includes photos & other links)<BR><BR>try this website for small luxury hotels worldwide: www.slh.com or lhw.com & select icon for small luxury hotels

Sherry May 28th, 2002 04:26 PM

You might want to check these out:<BR>- Laluna on Grenada: www.laluna.com<BR>- Maroma south of Cancun: www.maromahotel.com<BR>- Pink Sands on Harbour Island: www.pinksandsresort.com<BR>- Ladera or Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia:<BR>www.ladera-resort.com<BR>www.ansechastenet.com<BR><BR>I spent quite a while researching a destination for a second honeymoon and thought these properties looked very promising. Not sure what your budget is like, however. You may also want to visit www.luxurylink.com - an online travel auction site.<BR><BR>You may also want to consider Turks and Caicos - specifically Provo, Pine Cay, and Parrot Cay. There are several properties on these islands that may be a pretty good fit. I believe the luxury link site has several very nice T&C properties at auction now.<BR><BR>One final thought - Bougainvillea Resort on Barbados. This is property appears to be a good value, though it may be a bit too touristy and not as peaceful as you would prefer. This one was in the final running for our trip. Their website is: www.bougainvillearesort.com<BR><BR>Good luck with your search and have a wonderful trip!<BR><BR><BR>

efp May 28th, 2002 06:18 PM

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I am in fact looking at Ladera and Anse Chastenat on St. Lucia. I'd like to have feedback from anyone who has been there. Again, thanks for all of the help.