Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to from Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-from-barbados-651703/)

MiniAK Oct 9th, 2006 12:38 AM

Where to from Barbados

Hi!
I'm visiting Barbodos in the month of April. I have three days to spare and want to visit one more Caribbean Island which is nearby? Can you suggest whcih one? I gather St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago are nearby. This is our first trip to the West Indies. We dont have any particular interest. Just want to visit another island which is more like a must visit place. We dont mind doing touristy stuff. It just has to be a little different from barbados and nearby to Barbados. Thanks

doug_stallings Oct 9th, 2006 05:38 AM

St. Lucia is probably the closest island and is reachable by a short trip on Caribbean Star (about $40 one-way) to the airport near Castries. Grenada and St. Vincent are also pretty close, but I'm not sure about air connections. Trinidad & Tobago are probably reachable but certainly farther than the other islands. Of all these islands, St. Lucia probably has the most to offer, but Grenada is very nice and has some great beaches and inexpensive accommodations. St. Vincent is more mountainous and volcanic and few good beaches.

xkenx Oct 9th, 2006 06:03 AM

Barbados is wonderful, but well-developed. For contrast, Grenada is a short hop, and is physically one of the most gorgeous islands around. Very unspoiled, natural. Nice people, beaches, mostly nature-related sightseeing. Nutmeg factory is interesting. The capital, Georgestown, has a picturesque harbor setting. Spice Island Beach Resort is right on the lovely Grand Anse beach, with a variety of accommodations.

jecrow Oct 9th, 2006 06:30 AM

I highly recommend one of the Grenadines. I have been to Canouan and Mustique and the island are gorgeous. Bequia would be a good base and very relaxing.

ejcrowe Oct 9th, 2006 10:23 AM

I agree that Bequia would be the perfect foil to Barbados, but that for only 3 nights it might be more of an excercise in frustration than anything else.

I agree that of the main islands you're considering, St. Lucia provides the greatest visual contrast. Grenada is just as easy to get to (fly LIAT or Caribbean Sun/Star), is still a nice contrast to Barbados, and is probably a bit "easier" to do in 3 days than St. Lucia or Bequia would be. Since the tourist epicenter is in the south of the island (airport, Grand Anse beach, capital at St. George's) and since the roads are so good (if not well-marked), you could do a good of both beaching and exploring in those 3 days since it's so concentrated. With St. Lucia, you've got 2 epicenters--Castries and the Pitons--at opposite ends of the island.

MiniAK Oct 11th, 2006 12:10 AM

Thanks guys
The cricket world cup is going to on during that time so all cruise ships are booked. I will need to figure out which matches are being played on whcih island and what is the staus on flights and hotels...

lms2 Oct 11th, 2006 10:03 AM

Last year, my husband and I spent a week in St. Lucia -where we have a time-share at Windjammer Landing- and a week in Barbados. The two islands are quite different and I think they make a nice contrast. Although it lacks the excitement of Barbados, I love St. Lucia and it's unspoiled beauty. I highly recommend you do a tour that is offered in St. Lucia called "Land and Sea". It combines a tour by Jeep and a Catamaran sail with lunch at Ladera resort.