Where to book tours in St. Lucia / tour advice

Jan 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Where to book tours in St. Lucia / tour advice

Anyone have any comments on whether it is better to book tours through a place like www.sunlinktours.com or would it be better to book through Sandals resort where we will be staying. Are they the same tours?
Also, we were planning on doing the jeep jungle tour, the Land and Sea tour, and a taxi driver tour. Should we go on all 3? or would it be too repititious, and we maybe should only do 2 out of those 3.

We are also planning on eating at the Coal Pot and Dasheenes.

We are leaving this Sunday. Jan. 15, 2006

Thanks. Eric
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM

We have always book them through Sandals. You will love this island and resort! Have fun and let them know we will be there in Feb (our 9th stay)
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM

I think it will probably get a bit repitious if you do all three. My friend KVR on this forum did the Land and Sea tour and the Jeep Safari and thought that was a good mix. She will probably respond and give you more details. We did a taxi tour for the day, you can cover a lot of ground and see all of the sites that you want. We were tired of driving though by the end of the day. Even though it is a small island, getting from one place to another is time consuming due to the winding roads. Since you are planning on eating at Dasheene, you might want to incorporate that plan into your tours. Are you planning on doing that for lunch or dinner? If you hire a taxi for the day, you could stop there for lunch, but I have read posts that dinner is much better there. You are looking at approx a 1.5 hour drive to get to Dasheene if you plan on doing that a separate trip. That said, once the sun goes down, you loose the beautiful views. Also, one of the mountains blocks the actual sunset. So, you would be looking at 3 hours of driving just for dinner. You might want to do the Land and Sea and the Jeep Safari, or hire a taxi for the day and add one of the two above, probably the jeep safari because you would see the Pitons with a taxi or the Land and Sea. Confused yet? If you are interested in a taxi, I have read very good reviews on another forum for Phillip Tours. philliptoursstlucia.com They will do customized tours as will any taxi driver. I looked at their website and the prices were not displayed.

We booked a couple of excursions with Sandals (ATV adventure and The Grenadines) and had no problem and it was convenient to just go to the tour desk to book. The prices were very comparable for the ones we did, but have heard that Sandals jacks up the price of some excursions. What I would not book with Sandals is the shopping tour if you decide on a little shopping. Just get your own taxi and go at your own pace. This is something that can be done in a couple of hours in the morning or afternoon and not take up alot of your day.

We ate at The Coal Pot twice and loved it. Excellent food and atmosphere. Which property are you staying at? Your taxi from Sandals to the Coal Pot will be $20-25 round trip.

BTW, the tours with sunlink or Sandals are the same if not identical.
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys so far. So I might have been on the right track saying that all 3 would be a bit repetitious. The one tour that I would prob. consider dropping is the Land and Sea tour. It seems like the taxi tour would cover almost all the things on the Land and Sea except for the boat part. I dont know if the Land and Sea would be worth spending that much money to repeat half the things we did on the day before.

Also, we are staying at Sandals Regency.
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
KVR

We stayed at the Grande in Nov., and did the Land and Sea Tour, the Jeep Jungle Tour and the shopping tour. All booked through Sandals.

The Land and Sea Tour and Jeep Jungle tour was not repitious. Both took us to different parts of the Island. If you are not interested in the Sea part for snorkeling, I would suggest just renting a taxi to take you to the popular tourist sites that the land portion goes to. You don't need to do the Land and Sea Tour and hire a taxi. Do one or the other.

Here's the link to our pictures. It will give you an idea of all the sites you'll see.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

Have a great trip.

Jan 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Eric,
You are on the right track! If you hire a taxi, that is when you should eat at Dasheene if you want to avoid another taxi ride down there. You also may want to check out the Friday night Fish Fry at Anse La Raye. I have not gone, but will if we return. Please post when you return and let us know how your trip was!
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM

You should rent a car and go on your own tours. We were just there last week. We were originally going to sign up for a bunch of the tours, but it was so much better to explore the island on your own! Check out Anse La Raye Friday Nights, Soufriere, Pitons, Ladera, Pigeon Island, Marigot Bay....(Rodney Bay is overrated)
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is overrated about Rodney Bay? We did not make it to that area either trip although we probably passed by it on the way to the ATV's. Just wondering, because it was an area I was loosly considering staying if we return to STL. Although Soufriere is definitely the more beautiful area of the island, we like a little more activity. I'm probably in the minority category of St Lucia travelers in that regard. Any advice appreciated.

Eric,
After your commute from the airport, it should give you a very good idea if driving on STL is for you or not. Bear in mind that the West Coast road (to Soufriere) is much more winding and steep than the road from the airport. We found it much more enjoyable not to worry about the driving, but everyone is different.
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Topping because I am still curious about Rodney Bay Village. Next trip is STJ, but always open to info about St Lucia.
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM

I stayed at in Rodney Bay at the Coco Palm. Rodney Bay was basically one main road with small bars and restaurants (1-4 stars) on an road...there were hotels along the beach.

I liked the Coco Palm a lot and reviewed it on Trip Advisor (world tripper is me) I would stay there again, but it isn't on the beach. St. Lucia is ok, but it has a way to go in terms of being more tourist friendly. The area is still rough where I was. I know, it isn't America!!

The Coal Pot is near the airport in Castries. It is down an overgrown road and the place sits on a small cove of water. Not the picture perfect postcard waterfront. But, I liked it a lot and the food was great. I just got my credit card statement and saw the conversion rate to dollars: OUCH! It's not cheap. I went twice, the second time when I had an hour to kill before heading to the airport next door. The good thing is about taxi drivers is that if you ask them to pick you up later they will be there. At least mine were! My waiter remembered me from my visit the week before.

Jan 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I too have used Phillip Tours St.Lucia, their prices were very reasonable and the tours are private, since we do not like the group stuff it was perfect for us. We were on a cruise ship and found that private touring with local operators were alot cheaper than the excursions offered through the ship. If you choose to do the land taxi tour you will get to see it all, the scenery is incredible.