Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where should we go in June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-should-we-go-in-june-670442/)

Bean4544 Jan 15th, 2007 07:48 AM

Where should we go in June?

Hello - my husband and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary this year and are treating ourselves to 4-5 days of sunshine. My darling MIL has offered to watch our little beauties - so this will be our first trip since our honeymoon w/o kids. All we want to do is sit and relax on a beautiful beach - preferrably one not crawling with kids. We enjoy nice dinners and a quiet drink. Just looking to relax. Where should we go? Which island and which hotel? I'm exhausted from my research - it leaves me so indecisive. Please help!

cmcfong Jan 15th, 2007 08:05 AM

Coco Reef Hotel, Bermuda

A_Traveller Jan 15th, 2007 08:21 AM

Unfortunately you haven't given us much to go on as almost every island meets your criteria of having a hotel or resort where you can relax on a beautiful beach and enjoy nice dinners and a quiet drink. Every island is different and no island "has it all". In order to pick the right destination you have to be ready to make some compromises/

Since you are only going for 4 or 5 days you probably want to visit a destination you can reach non-stop from your nearest gateway airport so it would help if you told us were you are travelling from. Also, do you have a budget in mind for accomodations and food. It wouldn't make sense for us to recommend an ultra-expensive luxury resort if you only have a modest budget. Tell us what you have available and we can steer you in the right direction. Try to be specific - don't ask for a resort with 5-star luxury for 3-star prices it doesn't exist. Other things to consider are do you plan to get out and explore the island or are you content with staying on the resort? How do you plan on getting around - walking, mini-bus, taxi or rental car?

Next you have to give us some idea of what type of island you'd like to visit. Do you want a big island which generall have nice beaches and access to nearby towns and cities and lush interiors for hiking and exploring or perhaps you'd prefer a smaller volcanic island with tall mountains, lush rainforests and smaller cove-like darker sand beaches. Then there are flat coral based islands with miles of sugar white beaches but having little or no natural vegetation. There are also smaller hilly islands that are somewhat arid and not as lush as the volcanic islands but still have nice flora and fauna as well as cove-like light sand beaches and excellent snorkeling. Also, do you want access to duty free shopping?

Make a list of the 10 or 15 tings in a Caribbean vacation that are most important to you, we can then make suggestions that will be more helpful to you.

Make a

mnag Jan 15th, 2007 07:48 PM

Anguilla (cap juluca, cusiart) or Turks and Caicos (palms, grace bay club, somerset). Not sure of your budget but these are my recommendations based on your post. Both islands have great beaches and very nice selection of restaurant. Both have dry/scrubby interiors but are excellent beach destinations. Turks may be easier to get to than Anguilla.

mnag Jan 15th, 2007 07:50 PM

Sorry that is cuisinart resort on Anguilla.