Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where should we go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-should-we-go-492067/)

erinnq Dec 23rd, 2004 09:00 AM

Where should we go?

Parents are watching the kids - have free tickets anywhere Delta flies. Want to go somewhere romantic with an excellent beach! Have been to Negril, Mexico, USVI, BVI, Anguilla...would like to try something new. Maybe Bermuda, St Barth's/Lucia, Cayman??? Want nice but don't want to eat beans for the next 6 months...Husband is turning 50 and we never had the honeymoon...Any suggestions - planning for April.

ejcrowe Dec 23rd, 2004 09:31 AM

Are you intending to use frequent flyer miles? If so, then the best thing is to find out which islands are available for the time you want to go--FF tickets are quite often difficult to get if you don't book them 330 days in advance.

Delta has partnerships with Continental, Northwest, and Air Jamaica, which opens up a good number of destinations. If you want to go to St. Barths, you'd have to get a ticket into St. Martin and then take a ferry or a small plane over.

There may be more destinations, but I know for sure that with Delta and its partnerships you can get to Bermuda, the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, Curacao, and Aruba (in addition to the other islands/area you've already visited).

Telling us more about your free tickets (voucher, frequent flyer miles, etc.) and the kind of vacation you want (romantic, active, good food, lots of activities, secluded, etc,) will get your a lot more replies.

erinnq Dec 23rd, 2004 09:57 AM

Voucher. Travel is not permitted on code shares. I guess St Barth's is out since we only I have the 7 days. St Lucia, Caymans, Bermuda maybe?

Beach, romance, food in that order.

Len3 Dec 23rd, 2004 10:53 AM

I do some serious checking on Cayman post hurricane season - they took some good hits. If this is a winter vacation, Bermuda won't give you summer weather.

kfusto Dec 23rd, 2004 11:37 AM

We just returned from 4 blissful and romantic days in St. Lucia. We stayed at LeSport where daily spa treatments are included. Their restaurant Tao was simply wonderful! The beaches are not special but the warm is beuatiful and the island very pretty.

I do not care for Bermuds personally. A bit stuff for my taste.

One of my very favorie spots for a romantic beach break is Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. The resort is lush, the rooms private and lovely and the beach is spectacular. I se you have already been to Negril but I find it hard to beat and have been there 20 or so times.

girlonthego Dec 23rd, 2004 01:06 PM

I didn't realize you only have 7 days. So ignore my post on the other topic about Hawaii...
When do you plan to go? Time of year could make a difference with Bermuda for example.
Bermuda is beautiful and I disagree with the above post. Have been several times and would go back again. It is very British.(afternoon tea served most places)It is pricey. We liked the Reefs Hotel in Bermuda. Grand Cayman will be a mess for awhile with all of the Hurricane Damage. Does Delta fly to ST. Lucia? Aruba is a fun destination with white sandy beaches, turquoise water and some fun nightlife. We really enjoyed our trip there. I would recommend the Marriott, Hyatt, Raddison or Bucuti hotels there.

TomCayman Dec 29th, 2004 03:22 AM

Please don't write off Cayman so quickly, it seems that some people here "Hurricane" and, with a wave of a hand, take a whole country out of consideration.

erinng is planning a trip in April. Delta flies non-stop daily out of Atlanta (just over two hours flight) to Cayman, and with summer rates starting at most resorts right after Easter (end of March this year), Cayman is a very viable option.

If priorities are beach, romance, food, I can tell you that the Westin and The Reef are both great choices, and will both be at 100% long before April. Both offer great beaches, oceanfront rooms/suites... and Cayman has many, many dining options.

golf_guy Dec 29th, 2004 05:09 AM

erinng:

I would recommend the Jamaica Inn, in Ocho Rios. Delta flies Atlanta-MoBay in a little over 2 hours.
Jamaica Inn (do a search using the box above for lots and lots of comments on the place) will provide everything you're looking for: great beach; very romantic, excellent food.
In fact, if you check the Caribbean section of the auctions at Luxurylink.com, you should find a 5 day package for about 35% off regular prices (add the extra days yourself for the full 7 days you want).
That will allow you to add some steak to your beans for the next 6 months.