New parent getaway sans baby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I both work full-time and have an active 14-month old toddler. We haven't been away in a long time and are finally planning a Caribbean getaway for just the two of us. Here is what I am looking for:

Time of year: July (only time we can go due to our schedules)

Length of trip; 4 days, 3 nights

Traveling from: NYC

What we want: Luxury! Hard core pampering and being waited on! Relax by the pool with excellent service, stroll on the beach, get massages, go to bed early and sleep in late. The ultimate in lazy days.

We have been to Four Seasons in Hualalai and it was magnificent. Have been looking into FS Exuma and FS Nevis as well, but there are like a zillion other resorts on a zillion other islands. I'm confused and tired of looking. Looking for you experts to tell me what to do! TIA.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 03:39 AM

We've done those short getaways. 3 nights is not a long time. It's really 2 full days and maybe 1/2 day if you get to land midday on the day you leave.
I'd recommend you try to find a non-stop to get to your destination asap.

1) Bermuda.
2) Ritz in Grand Cayman.
3) Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos (non-stop AA from JFK to Provo, then boat ride)
4) Ritz in St. Thomas
5) CuisinArt Resort or Cap Juluca in Anguilla (non-stop to St. Maarten then boat ride to Anguilla).

Good luck.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM

As a new mom myself (DD is 2), I know from which you speak and you want to make this trip really great!
I'd suggest bermuda in July- in fact we are going (w/ DD). I would stay at either the Elbow beach in one of their renovated cottage rooms(check on construction there if it's over yet) or The Fairmont Southampton. Neither place has a great pool, but their beaches are incredible. I've written my comparisons on the 2 on this forum, which you can look up if you are interested by clicking on my screen name.

Although any other time I would heartily suggest Cap Juluca in Anguilla, the ferry ride overor the connection from SJU (whichever you choose) just makes 4 days a little too short for that trip. But for that though, it would be my number one choice for you.

Overall, I'd choose a destination that gets you there in one flight without a ferry or without a connector. Get there, get to the beach and chill. When researching some trips this year for our 5th anniversary where i only wanted to go for 3 nights - without our DD, i had our choices narrowed down to the Regent Palms in Turks and Caicos and the Four Seasons in Nevis. I still had alot of research to do, but that Regent Palms in T&C looked amazing.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! We booked at the Regent Palm in T&C. Looks breathtaking!
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM

there is a gorgeous and very lux resort named one & only on paradise island, bahamas. http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/flash.html
jfk to nas (nassau international) on continental nonstop #698 in 3hrs 13 mins - flight leaves nyc at 8:30am ar 11:43am. or on jet blue #719 lv 6:50am ar 9:49am in 2hr 59 min. i assume one & only gets you from airport to resort on private boat.
you can fly newark to nevis on american in 6hrs 15mins.
or lga to grand cayman on delta in 5hrs 47mins.
or to provo on delta from jfk in 6hrs 45 mins. there are numerous lux resorts on provo - amanyara, the somerset, grace bay club and turks and caicos club (very small, secluded) to name a few. parrot cay is secluded and lux but will take at least 2hrs from arrival to get there by car and then boat.
you might consider http://www.maromahotel.com/web/ocan/ocan_a2a_home.jsp
jet blue jfk #751 8:15am ar 11:21am to cancun. 40 mins drive to maroma.
for st. thomas and it's gorgeous ritz (this is a beautiful hotel, infinity pool and beach looking out on st. john and other islands). jfk on american #655 dep 8am ar noon.