Where's a great place in Montego Bay?

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's a great place in Montego Bay?

Hi gang. After reserving a weeks stay at Idle Awhile in Negril I ended up lengthening our trip by planning on coming to Jamaica a couple days earlier. I thought it would be a good idea to stay In Montego Bay for a couple of Days to see some sights before moving on to Negril. Can anyone recommend a nice place as well as some "Must see and do" places. Much appreciated and again I am glad to be able to glean things from your experiences. I certainly plan to write my own report after my April 09 trip in the hope that I can give feedback that will help others as you have helped me.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

I'd either extend your stay in Negril, by maybe adding a few days at a hotel on the cliffs, or I'd go to Ocho Rios or the Treasure Beach area. Montego Bay is not worth your time IMHO.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'm not fond of MoBay either. Only one decent beach, downtown, hotel options either pricey or seedy for the most part. Cruise ships bring out the hustlers, moreso than in Negril...a little.

To really get some "real Jamaica" check out Duncans Bay, about 40 minutes east of the airport, specifically Jamaica Jewel - I loved my time there and have rebooked for my next trip. Some photos and videos here: http://ohliza.blogspot.com/2009/01/j...008-index.html

Treasure Beach is an incredible area too, I spent time there that same trip (photos etc at that same link). It's another taste of rural Jamaica unsullied by mass market tourism.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks Ohliz! I just spent the last 90 minutes on your very well documented 2-week journey through Jamaica! Very nicely done and was a real treat to read on this cold January night. Have a great trip back in March!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM

My sister and BIL just left the Hilton in Mobay and are now in Negril. They enjoyed their time there. We all recommend Rose Hall's Great House. We took lots of pictures when we were there. Annie Palmer was known as the White Witch and she was truly a monster. You have to go and hear the rest on the tour. There is also a marine sanctuary that does cruises.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Glad you enjoyed Carib Soul, it was a great trip....doing something like it again in March/April. A little different but moving about as much