Royal Plantation Beach

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Plantation Beach

Planning a trip to Jamaica & really like the Royal Plantation; however, I am worried that the beach is not nice enough. We typically enjoy relaxing with a good book all day on the beach, but it looks so small. Feedback is much appreciated from those who have been there. Thanks. RGA
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Bobbygee,

Unless you absolutely have to have the Royal Plantation, why not drive an additional 3 minutes and go to Jamaica Inn, instead. It has the beach you want, the ambience it sounds like you want, and if you go all inclusive, you'll get the same food and beverage accessibility you would have at RP.
Plus, it's the Jamaica Inn!!!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I absolutely agree that Jamaica Inn would be a better choice. There is a lot of information about JI posted here...just do a search. I stayed there for two weeks in April of '04, so if you click on my name and go back through the ages of posts ;-), you'll find my trip report.

Golf guy...how NICE to see your name on the screen ! Hope all is well with you and that you've done some traveling/golfing !

Marion
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Golf Guy - We also like the JI, but are worried about 2 things: 1)dining options and the quality of the food - will we get bored of eating at the same place for 7 nights? and 2)nothing to do, although we are pretty okay with this since w edon't like to participate in things much. Can you help?
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Bobbygee,

Well, I can't comment on the quality of the food now, but I know all the times I've been there, the food was excellent. And every night there was a completely different menu of 5 or 6 choices, so you never had to worry about having the same thing again (bad news if there was something so wonderful you really wanted it again).
As for eating at the same place, dining out under the stars with the lights of Ocho Rios as your background was something we always looked forward to.
And having your breakfast served on your verandah each morning, allowing you to eat breakfast in your PJs (NOTE -- NOT A VALID OPTION IF YOU SLEEP IN THE NUDE) is such a wonderful way to start the day.
As for things to do, well, we played golf every afternoon, so having a leisurely lounge-about under a sea-grape or bohio on the beach in the morning with nothing more to do than reading or working a crossword puzzle was more than enough activity for us.
But I know there are lots of things to do in the area, and Carolyn Barret's tour operation could likely fill every day with trips around the countryside to see and do a bunch of fun and interesting things. Type "tivertonhouse" in the search block above and you should see a number of posts from tiv listing things to do, and giving info on how to contact Carolyn.
JI now has a spa, so there are some options there for things to do (or have done to you).

Marion -- I'm fine, and thanks for asking. Have not been traveling for a while -- but have been playing a lot of golf. Trying to see if we can fit a week or two at Tryall this fall, but I'm still a wage-slave, and there are a number of work-related things that seem to have managed to schedule themselves at just the wrong time for getting away.
I've followed with interest your travels (and travails) over the last year plus.
It looks like you may have been one of the last people to rent Goat Hill before it was sold. The new owner really spruced it up, and bumped the cost to rent way up. What was once the bargain of Jamaica is now a little too pricey for me.
Good to talk with you again.