Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where is the Best Walking Beach in the Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-is-the-best-walking-beach-in-the-caribbean-672079/)

kimp Jan 20th, 2007 12:53 PM

Where is the Best Walking Beach in the Caribbean

Where have you found the best walking beach in the Caribbean? Long, wide, and sand???

cmcfong Jan 20th, 2007 01:10 PM

My favorite beach walk starts at Horseshoe Bay Bermuda and continues as far as Warwick Long Bay. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.........

PandyB Jan 20th, 2007 01:23 PM

Grace Bay Beach.
12 miles of continuous white sand!

PandyB Jan 20th, 2007 01:24 PM

(Grace Bay Beach)- Turks and Caicos, that is! It also won the World's Leading Beach at the 2006 world Travel Awards I'm told! Cool. It really is gorgeous.

marbleheadguy Jan 20th, 2007 01:31 PM

Bigger and longer isn't better necessarily :-)

Anegada in British Virgins has a great walkable beach.

My favorite. Its desolate and pristine.

Anquilla too.

Rincon in Puerto Rico has awesome sunset beach.

Cinnamon Bay Beach in St. John at Sunset is fantastic.

kimp Jan 20th, 2007 01:44 PM

We like to be able to walk for miles anytime of day & not worry about surf, that is why we like the long.....

marbleheadguy Jan 20th, 2007 01:56 PM

Then you want Turks and Caicos.

Have fun...great cardio workout!

CaribbeanSoul Jan 20th, 2007 05:01 PM

It depends on what you want for atmosphere. If beach bars, local color and flavors are on the menu....Negril Beach, hands down is numero uno in my book. It is called a 7 mile beach....but more like 4-5 miles.

greenie Jan 21st, 2007 03:55 AM

I second grace bay beach. Beautiful. Also, Bavaro beach in Punta cana. You can walk for miles.

Peace

semiramis Jan 21st, 2007 05:24 AM

My husband is a beach walker and he says Grace Bay on Provo is by far the best walking beach.

ccrosner Jan 21st, 2007 05:31 AM

Harbour Island, Bahamas - probably a couple of miles long, very wide and beautiful pink sand.

Have never been to Grace Bay so can't compare.

allietoo Jan 21st, 2007 07:39 AM

Pine Cay, Meridian Club (Turks & Caicos.) The beach goes on for miles, but bring books for after your walk (delightfully,in my opinion) that's all there is.
The ocean swimming is also wonderful.

A_Traveller Jan 21st, 2007 09:03 AM

In addition to those already mentioned try Cape Santa Maria on Long Island (Bahamas) - 7 miles of pure white sand that's soft as talcum powder and lapped by bright torquoise waters.

We also found long stretches of beach on Cat Island in the Bahamas and of course there's 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman.

The beaches mentioned on this thread only scratch the surface - there's no "best" walking beach but rather there are only "different" walking beaches. You can literally find scores and score of them throughout the Caribbean and the Bahamas each with their own beauty and appeal.

Eye_land_Hopper Jan 21st, 2007 09:26 AM

No doubt, Grace Bay beach is spectacular. My friend stayed in a villa near there, and they simply loved it. Not to mention all you can do in the area; diving and what not. Shoal Bay Beach in Anguilla is another top beach, top 10 in the world! I have also been to the Peter Bay area in St. John, and you could go to any of the three bays in the region, Cinnamon, Trunk or Hawksnest, and you would be in paradise! But they are not ones for long walks...Grace or Shoal Bay is what you want for that!

Knowing Jan 21st, 2007 12:10 PM

Seven mile beach on GC achieved it for us. Beautiful sand along with the beautiful water to match.

VegasM Jan 21st, 2007 09:46 PM

<font color="red">Grace Bay in TCI vote here as well!! Although..I did like 7 Mile beach in GC is very nice as well!!</font>