Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where is the best place to travel in August? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-is-the-best-place-to-travel-in-august-848459/)

CherriSmiles Jul 7th, 2010 12:22 PM

Where is the best place to travel in August?

Hi there,
My bff and I are to travel somewhere in August and would greatly appreciate any advice/recommendations on where to go.
I'm interested in the Caribbean but I'm also aware it's hurricane season during my vacation time.
After a little research, I have come up with a few choices:

Tahiti
Barbados
Curacao
St. Lucia

I have never been to any of these destinations and would like to know what experiences others have had. Are these ideal places during that time? Should I be looking at other options beyond these ones? Although weather is never predictable, I would like to minimize my chances of a lot of rain.
We are two single girls that like to have a good time. We have traveled to Hawaii, London and Aruba together. An all inclusive would be good as well.
Any help/opinions on these choices would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know of a better location, we are open as well! We just want it to be WARM!!

Thanks in advance!

Joseph2010 Jul 7th, 2010 06:59 PM

I would recommend CURACAO 100%. We have been there twice in a year last year. I love the Capital, Willemstad with its colorful buildings. The beaches are very nice. The new Hyatt property is breathtaking. The Renaiisance in downtown is very nice also. Anyway, we knew very little about this island but since we discover it, we keep going back......
Have a nice trip...

Joseph2010 Jul 7th, 2010 07:01 PM

Oh , and Curacao is outside the hurricane belt but I am not sure if any of the other islands are...

blamona Jul 9th, 2010 06:57 AM

Tahiti all honeymooners-I should know, I was 1 of them!

What attracts you to the other 3? All have the same chance of hurricanes (can't predict where they're going to go) but usually there's 5-7 days warning so you can make plans. When there's not a hurricane, weather is usually glorious. (if it rains, it's usually 1/2 hour, then clears up type storms)

Do you need nightlife?
foodies?
activities?
budget?

Because it's hurricane season, you might also want insurance.

Personally, I've traveled all over in hurricane season, and it wouldn't stop me--I've had some terrific trips during that time.

pittsburghsteeler_12 Jul 10th, 2010 01:57 PM

@blomona, I might be overstepping my boundaries here (because I have not been to the caribeaan yet)

But wouldn't nightlife, foodies, activities and budget be a good reciepe for St.Martin/St.Marteen as well? Especially for two single girls.

Just read this thread and felt compelled to throw my two cents in. And my two cents is based solely on loads of research. Beleive me, I not claming any credabliity with that statement! :)

You and everyone else on this post obviously knows better than I. What are yout thoughts?

Just thought I would make a suggestion.

CherriSmiles Jul 12th, 2010 10:15 AM

We do night nightlife and eating, but the food is not our main concern.. We would want somewhere where it wouldn't just be all couples.. Where we could do outdoor activities and somewhat of a nightlife at night. Budget is always there, so that's why I was thinking an all inclusive might be good.

CherriSmiles Jul 12th, 2010 10:18 AM

We basically just want to go somewhere we have never been. We plan a trip together yearly.. Last year we went to Aruba and we have been to London and Hawaii..
We like to lay out, go snorkeling, go on boats, eat,drink, dance, etc..

pittsburghsteeler_12 Jul 13th, 2010 03:32 AM

I would strongly suggest you check out St.Martin/St.Marteen, it seems to be everything you are looking for. My g/f and I spent a long time searching for the perfect place in the caribbean for us. We were looking for a place with first class beaches and a vibrant night life. ST.Martin was it. We are going mid August and will be there for the rest of the month. Honestly, go check it out...