Question for Cayman Sue and other Cayman experts

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Cvechko

Question for Cayman Sue and other Cayman experts

Where to stay in the Cayman Kai area in March 2007? Most important factor in wanting to stay in that area - is the reef still there, can you still snorkel out to it from the beach, and is there still excellent snorkeling there? If the answers are "no" then we will consider another part of the island. Convenient, excellent reef snorkeling from the beach is the major factor in where we stay.

We loved the Cayman Kai Resort- it closed, then loved the Kozy Kai (one of the cottages in the old resort, privately owned & rented out) - it appears to be gone after Hurrican Ivan. We may be interested in any other "cottages" at the former resort if they are available and in decent shape and if they have 2 bedrooms.

There will be my hubby, self, & college son - so need 2 bedrooms. I have checked out prices of houses in the area between old Resort & Rum Point on 2 realty sites - prices run over $3,000 week. Ouch! The Resort at Rum Point may be our only other option.

Any other suggestions? However, if snorkeling is no longer excellent at the reef in that area, we would just as soon go to another part of the island. Any suggestions on other areas with excellent snorkeling off the beach?

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a Cayman Kai expert, but AFAIK the reef systems are just fine across the island, although some areas had some shallow water damage after Hurricane Ivan in 2004.

I'd suggest checking with Cayman Villas and Cayman Kai management, both have lots of units to rent.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Since our place at North Pointe is still being rebuilt, we have to find other places to stay. We spent 2 weeks in January with another couple at The Haven (www.caymanhaven.com). It is one of the sea lodges with 2 bedrooms. No where near $3000 a week! The reef is in good shape all along the north side of the island.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Why don't you check out The Retreat at Rum Point condos, it's next door to the public beach at Rum Point. It will be up and running by then and is much cheaper than the villas in that area. We have stayed there over 30 times and I highly recommend.
Sandy
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Cvechko,
Here's the web site for the Retreat if your interested, retreatrumpoint.com
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM

I just noticed that you are a Belize fan, as am I! Been 3 times in the last 2 years.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Cvechko

Thank you everyone.

Cayman Sue, the place you suggested IS on the same site as the old Resort. Pretty sure I'm going to book with them. Also,. yes LOVE Belize. Have you been to the Jaguar Reef Lodge? Check it out on the internet. It is awesome with all the tours it offers & etc.

Thank you again everyone.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I'll be going on vacation with my 18 year old who is taking scuba diving lessons now. We will be going somewhere in the Caribbean the last week of October. Belize looks interesting, but do they have any night life?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM

We stayed at www.discoverypointclub.com and we were really happy with that decision as it is on West Bay which is more quiet than 7 Mile Beach.

It is also just a short walk up the beach from Cemetary Reef which is said to have some of the best off beach snorkeling on the island.

It is about 100 yards off shore, so if you are not a very strong swimmer..I would wear a snorkeling vest.Just look for the Cemetary and the reef is straight out in the water.

We also enjoyed the snorkeling in front of our hotel and at Smith's Cove.

Good luck!

Christie
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Blondie,
The only nightlife at the place we stayed at was in the JRL bar - no other bars, etc near it. My son would go down and hang with the other guests. Ambergris Caye may have more nightlife.

You can't snorkel off the shore in Belize like you can in GC - you have to take a boat to the reef. Nevertheless, Belize is AWESOME!!!!!!

PS, We have rented one of the Sea Lodges at the former Cayman Kai Resort for our GC trip in 2007.