Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where in the Caribbean is the weather perfect in DECEMBER? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-in-the-caribbean-is-the-weather-perfect-in-december-179313/)

Beach Type Girl Aug 22nd, 2001 03:03 PM

Where in the Caribbean is the weather perfect in DECEMBER?

Our family is thinking of chartering a boat in December but don't know where the weather would be perfect this time of year. We would also like a place that has great scuba diving because several members of our family enjoy this sport. We would need some guidance with the scuba diving though as we aren't experienced enough to do it on our own, so we should be near a place that has instructed dives... any suggestions?

Brooke Aug 23rd, 2001 01:26 PM

My suggestion would be St. Lucia. We went on our honeymoon in December last year and loved it. The weather was very, very nice -- not too hot. And it rained only in the afternoons (to help keep things cool and everything lush and green! :-) Also, I had to reply because you mentioned diving...St. Lucia and in particular the Anse Chastnet hotel is known for diving. Hope that helps!

Karen Aug 24th, 2001 06:53 AM

Definitely the BVI's and the Christmas Winds will make the sailing an adventure! Good diving and very good outfits offering dives.

Judi Aug 24th, 2001 11:28 AM

<BR>Cayman Islands definitely! The weather is beautiful. There are great dive courses available at divetech. See: <BR>www.divetech.com or www.cobaltcoast.com <BR> <BR>

Anon Aug 26th, 2001 10:42 AM

Anywhere, just pick an island.

jennifer Aug 28th, 2001 09:11 AM

The BVI or St. vincent and the grenadines win hands down. Both are excellent this time of year and are breathtakingly beautiful! <BR> <BR>A cheaper option would be to charter a boat off of Belize. All of these locations have GREAT snorkeling and/or scuba diving.

Eva Aug 28th, 2001 09:29 AM

My last sailing charter was a family trip in December in Grenada -- we started there and sailed the Grenadines. The weather and winds were ideal, with only the occasional brief shower. The days were generally sunny and warm (not too hot), with the nights cooling a bit. As we were only 12 degrees north of the equator, the water temperature was still warm; it tends to cool a bit the further north you go this time of year. My husband dives, and there are many reputable dive operators who will pick you up at your boat. In fact, my husband got picked up at the Tobago Cays and got returned right to our boat several hours later in Mayreau, where the rest of us had gone on while he dove. <BR> <BR>Drop me a note if you have any specific questions, or read my trip report at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html.

Daniel Williams Aug 28th, 2001 10:30 AM

Really anywhere in the Caribbean proper would the weather be nice for swimming, tanning, boating, diving (if you're looking for 80s or so). <BR> <BR>Although technically not in the Caribbean but sometimes thought as such, Bermuda will have temps in the 50s and 60s...too cold for your purposes. The Bahamas (depending where you are in the 700-island archipelago) will range from mid 60s to upper 70s so can be hit-and-miss. We went to Nassau this past Dec. 27- Jan. 2; great sunning weather, only 3 really good swimming days. Stick to the Caribbean proper and you'll be fine temp. wise. <BR>