Where in the caribbean for a wedding?

Dec 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Where in the caribbean for a wedding?

Hi,
I´m trying to plan my wedding at the end of June 2008, and just can´t decide where to go. It´s just immediate family, so I feel like I should pick a place with something for everyone. We´re looking for somewhere with good scuba diving and beaches, decent fishing and hiking, golf, and some shopping in a relatively undeveloped area that´s still not too hard to reach from the US. I´d prefer somewhere very small, not too expensive, and all-inclusive (or has a meal plan) so we can just relax for the week we´re there, and a place where we can feel relatively safe venturing away from the resort. My front-runners are currently Little Cayman Island/Cayman Island or St. Lucia, but I suspect the first will be boring for non-divers, and apparently the beaches on St. Lucia aren´t great. Does anyone have any suggestions of places that might meet those requirements? Or is there nowhere like that?
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:13 AM

I'm sure there are places that you can find that will suit everybody, but you should be aware that you're wishing for some contradictory things: a nice "all inclusive" that isn't "too expensive" and to have golf and shopping in a "relatively undeveloped" area. And to have that same relatively undeveloped area easily acessible from the US. All of these pairings are slightly contradictory, you understand.

Knowing what you mean by not too expensive would be really helpful. What's moderate to you might be luxury to someone else, and vice versa.

Instead of Little Cayman, why not just stick with Grand Cayman? That way, the non-divers will have plenty of things to do above the water. You can daytrip to Little Cayman if it's really important to you.

You should be able to feel safe venturing from the resort on any island except Haiti, and I assume you're not looking there anyway. If it's just immediate family, how many people is that? Would you consider renting a villa or neighboring villas on Jamaica? Fully staffed with a cook and housekeeper would mean a vacation for everybody, and there's lots of golf to choose from. Diving less impressive, however.

As to St. Lucia's beaches not being that great, I'd say their beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's true that they're not long stretches of white sand. But they have a tropical lushness all their own. I understand that people have preferences and some people prefer blinding white sand, but anybody who says that St. Lucia's beaches (or other volcanic destinations) are just plain unattractive needs to have his or her head examined!

Okay, for golf, consider staying at the Buccaneer on St. Croix. It has a nice reputation and is a really good second-tier resort. Meaning it's nice without being over the top expensive or luxurious.

For golf and shopping, consider Bermuda. You'll find meal plans here but no AI, I believe.

For diving and shopping, consider Grand Cayman.
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ejcrowe! You are very correct that the things we´re looking for are contradictory, so it makes the decision more difficult. Although of course looking at pictures of caribbean islands isn´t exactly taxing, given that it´s winter here in Iceland... Anyway, the group would probably be about 10 people. By "not too expensive" I mean less than 300$ per person per night or so. I think if we had to compromise, the golf/shopping is less important than the diving/nature aspect. Hope that helps!
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:36 AM

i'd like to suggest the westin st. john. st. j has good scuba, great beaches, good hiking and available fishing. the island is considered quite safe. westin is not ai.
the ferry between st. john and st. thomas (st. t is where you will have to fly to from US) takes approx 20 mins from cruz bay to red hook. st. thomas has maghony run golf course and all the shopping a person could stand.
st. thomas is a very easy island to get to.
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Stonefield Resort on St. Lucia sounds perfect for what you're looking for, just keep in mind that June starts the rainy season in St. Lucia. We stayed there May-June 04 (Memorial Day week) and with each day there it started raining more and more. Is there anyway to have it in May? You would still be in the dry season, and it's still considered off season so you could get the cheaper rates.

Diving-we didn’t dive while there, and I don’t know much about the diving in St. Lucia. The snorkeling was okay around the base of the Pitet Piton (off of Jalousie’s beach next door).

Beaches-Anse Chastenet next door has a nice black sand beach. Jalousie on the other side has a beautiful imported white sand beach smack in between the pitons. It’s really nice, and it has a beach bar right there too. Jalousie also has a 3 hole small chip’n’put course if you need golf close by.

Golf-you could take a day trip up north to golf near Castries. There’s also shopping up there, and banana tours you can do.

Shopping-you can take the free taxi provided by the staff at Stonefield to Sourfrierre, the small town right by Stonefield. It’s cute to walk around (although very poor) and there’s some shopping there. Jalousie next door also has shops inside for souvenirs. I always felt safe while there too.

Very small-there are 20 private villas with private plunge pools that each guest can stay in, so you feel like you have your own place, yet you can all meet at the restaurant.

Price-depending upon the villa you rent, it can be less than $300 p/night p/couple. And the larger villas have multiple rooms so if a few couples wanted to rent it it would break up the cost too.

Nature/activities-LOTS to do here! Rainforest hike, botanical gardens, volcano hike (IMO, not really worth it, although the waterfall at the end is pretty), horseback riding, hike the Pitet or Gros Piton, Friday night fish fry in Anse La Raye. It’s very lush, mountainous, undeveloped.

Getting there-relatively easy to get to. Fly through Puerto Rico and then direct there.

If I were to do a destination wedding, this is where I’d do it! The backdrop of the massive Pitet Piton with the amazing sunsets is wonderful.

Stonefield’s site: http://www.stonefieldvillas.com/index.html
My trip pictures: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

And check it out on trip advisor. Good luck! Ps-we stayed in Frangipani-I highly recommend that villa-it has the largest pool for a one bedroom!
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
KVR

If a moderately priced AI/meal plan is important to you, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and St. John won't have them.

St. Lucia - Beautiful Island. Lots of natural beauty. There are a few AI hotels, but not sure if they are moderatly priced. There is golf. Snorkeling and diving is limited. Driving around the Island can be somewhat challening. Lots of curvy, winding roads. If you want white sand, powerdy beaches you won't find it, but the natural beauty completely makes up for it.

Jamaica - beautiful Island. Lots of natural beauty. Golf, plenty of AI hotels in all price ranges. Snorkeling and diving is limited. Personally, I didn't feel uncomfortable going off the property with a taxi driver or tour group, but I wouldn't venture around by myself. Others would, but I wouldn't. Beaches are decent.

I would look at Playa del Carmen/Mayan Riviera, MX or Cozumel, MX. You'll find great snorkeling and diving, nice beaches, golf courses, nautural beauty, great AI resorts in all prices ranges and sizes, and very safe to venture off the resort and explore, lots of things to see and do, decent shopping, easy to get to from the US and one the most inexpensive vacation destinations. We honeymooned in Cozumel and it was fabulous. I would say that area fits what you have requested.
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Harbour Heights has a great view of the Cayman Islands and world famous Seven Mile Beach. Take a look at the photo gallery page of the resort I stayed at. http://www.harbourheightscayman.com/photo-gallery
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I have friends who married at at Sandals in Antigua. They liked it very much. It is located on Dickensons Bay which is so gorgeous. Beautiful beach and water clarity. As for small, or inexpensive, I am not sure about that requirement.
Dec 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM

THe problem with Sandals for an entire wedding party is that it is for couples only, and adults only at that. gherkin doesn't say what the immediate family consists of.