Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where in the Caribbean are you planning on visiting in 2008? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-in-the-caribbean-are-you-planning-on-visiting-in-2008-a-738689/)

JAGIRL Sep 24th, 2007 05:56 PM

Where in the Caribbean are you planning on visiting in 2008?

So 2007 is almost over and I'm sure many of you are planning trips to the Caribbean for 2008, so ... come on!

Tell us where <font color="green"> <b>in the Cari<font color="orange">bbean</font></b></font> you're planning on visiting in 2008 <font color="blue"> <b>and why</b> </font>did you choose that place?

KVR Sep 24th, 2007 06:29 PM

We are going to Curacao in April, '08 to celebrate my BIG 4-0. We chose Curacao due to the many things to see and do. Looking forward to trying the dive encounter at the Sea Aquarium. The pictures look fabulous and we understand that the snorkeling is great. We loved Aruba last year and thought Curacao would be what we are looking for.

Hoping for Ocho Rios in November '08. We were really upset the cruise we took in April skipped it as a port. We still want to experience that area of Jamaica since we enjoyed Negril.

Callaloo Sep 25th, 2007 03:08 AM

I've just put FF tix on hold for SXM this coming March. We're planning on dividing 10 days between Anguilla and SXM -- we've got a &quot;ride&quot; for the Heineken Regatta. If our ride falls through and we don't find another, we'll spend the SXM part of our trip in Grand Case.

After years of avoiding St. Maarten (since our honeymoon over 18 years ago), we returned early in 2007 for a week's sailing aboard a racing sailboat while based in Grand Case. We found plenty to like about the island that we hadn't discovered on our honeymoon. When we got the opportunity to race in the Heineken, we thought -- why not?

In November 2008, it will HAVE to be an Out Island. I'm dying to go back to the Abacos or Cat Island, but might try something new for us, like Long Island or Andros.

mymoosie Sep 25th, 2007 03:39 AM

I haven't planned anything (I'm a last-minute planner) but if we are going to the Caribbean next year, Grenada will definitely be in the itinerary!

GraytonBchGirl Sep 25th, 2007 04:46 AM

Grenada some time over the summer.Can't wait!

lovethecape Sep 25th, 2007 05:46 AM

Our family is going to the Buccaneer on St. Croix. The resort appealed to us because it is family oriented and on several nice beaches. I also like the fact that the resort has an old Caribbean feel to it. Finally, I was curious about the island since the real estate prices are not as crazy as other islands like St. John. (Just dreaming).

caribtraveler Sep 25th, 2007 07:10 AM

Nowhere. Yet.
For Easter break, we're seriously thinking of Tobago or Antigua with day trips to Barbuda and Montserrat. Since my husband is letting me pick and nothing is booked yet... we may end up going somewhere totally different. I am notorious for changing my mind, over and over again. :-D
I'm hoping that some of your answers will give me ideas.
Wishing great '08 travel experiences to everyone!

keefatniffy Sep 25th, 2007 10:56 AM

In febuary we are off to St Lucia for a week and some well deserved rest.

Anguillagirl Sep 25th, 2007 11:16 AM

We will be returning for our annual trip to Anguilla to stay at the always lovely Cuisinart. Our little piece of paradise!

Knowing Sep 25th, 2007 12:46 PM

So far, we are booked for Palm Island in the Grenadines in February. If it's as great as they say, we may have to find a way to miss our return flight home.

mah1980 Sep 25th, 2007 12:54 PM

Nowhere in the Caribbean planned for 2008 (going to France in May!), but in 2009, we are thinking maybe St. Barts, Anguilla or Nevis.

Pulley Sep 25th, 2007 01:17 PM

St. John in August. Already reserved the villa!

beachbum2 Sep 25th, 2007 05:51 PM

It looks like a Jamaica trip to the Caves in Feb. We are taking the family (3 small kids to Isla Mujeres for the first time over Easter. Planning on a Mother's Day weekend trip away again....still deciding on Mexico, San Juan, Dominican or Jamaica. We loved Playa del Carmen last year, so I will take any suggestions. The only caviat is that is must be a direct flight from Baltimore/DC area and and hour or less drive when we get there as we only get 3 nights away. Looking forward to all of these trips...only wish i could do more.

sherryb Sep 26th, 2007 04:41 AM

Just booked the Sandals Dunn's River Villagio for my 40th. My 1st time flying in the winter and our 1st time to Jamaica. Striking out on some good former guest info. on the resort though.

JeanH Sep 26th, 2007 05:14 AM

Cartagena, Colombia, followed by San Andres and Providencia islands in January.

And, of course, Belize.

Kimberly Sep 26th, 2007 07:58 AM

We will be spending 2 weeks at Sandals Negril in Feb 08. We will be recieving our free voucher for our next stay at Sandals free. We will have 72 night with Sandals.

ejcrowe Sep 26th, 2007 08:02 AM

Our main trip next year is the Big Island of Hawaii, so I won't make it back to any of my beloved islands next year. However, one of the many grandchildren is turning 13 next year, so we'll be taking here someplace within US territory (her mama won't let her go elsewhere, unfortunately), so it will be either Vieques or one of the USVI for us for that trip.

If we're really lucky, my husband and I might be able to go for a long weekend getaway in the Caribbean, but that is as yet undetermined...but with luck we'll go next fall for our joint birthdays.

JAGIRL Sep 26th, 2007 06:28 PM

Wow! Some new places mentioned that I don't usually see here in the Caribbean threads. I sure hope you guys will do trip/photo reports! :)

caribtraveler : I hope that &quot;potential&quot; trip to Tobago and especially Montserrat does materialise. I'd love to see your trip report 7 photos of those two places :D

puckett Sep 26th, 2007 09:24 PM

Isla Mujures, Akumal, Tulum 2 weeks. 1 week BVI charter cruise.. 1 week St John.
3 weeks Alaska.

Auntie_Mame Sep 27th, 2007 04:07 AM

Probably Aruba in May. We like it there.

If not Aruba, then St. Martin - the French side. We've not been there yet and it's on the top of our list.