Reload this Page >

Distance to everything from San Juan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM
sra141

Hi, I am visiting PR for 3 days with my husband. this is our first time there and we would like your advise on the following:
1) how far is El Yunque from our hotel? and what is the cost and time of a tour?
2) how far are the Camuy Caverns from our hotel? and what is the cost and time of tour?
3) what do you think about El Morro? is it a must visit or can it be skipped?
4) any nice bars/lounges you can suggest in San Juan and Old San Juan??
5) Bio Bay - i know it's not gonna be a no moon time. so it it worth going there? if so, what is the best way i can get there and what would be the cost and time of travel?

THANKS!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless I missed something, you did not tell us where your hotel is located!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

OOps, nevermind, your title said San Juan.
All I can tell you is that I think El Yunque is perhaps an hour or so from SJ. I think there are guided tours and "do-it-yourself" ways to see the rain forest. Are you renting a car, or going by taxi?
You really should explore the forts. You can get a pass for both of them for about $6. While you are there you can explore Old San Juan. There are lots of nice places to eat and have drinks. Also, I just love wandering around OSJ.
Do you mean the bio bay on Vieques, or in PR? I have not heard anyone comment on the one in PR.
Have fun
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you didn't really say if you're staying in Old San Juan or some other part of San Juan. You hotel's location would certainly be helpful in determining travel times. Where are you staying???????
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

sorry about that...the hotel we're staying at is San Juan Beach Hotel , 1045 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico

the bio bay i'm planning on visiting is is Vieques

thanks again

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM

If you plan to stay in San Juan and visit the Bio Bay in Vieques, you need to plan to stay overnight in Vieques. There is no way back to San Juan after the bio bay tours that start at 6 pm. That is not a bad thing though! You will probably love the island more than your stay in PR!!
There are some inexpensive guest house-type places in Esperanza, Trade Winds, Bananas, under $100 per night.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM

The Caverns are a bit of a drive also. I would spend my time in Old San Juan & maybe take a day trip to El Yunque. PR is one of the largest islands in the Caribbean. It would be impractical to try & fit Vieques in as well. Actually you can pay one price & visit both Forts, which is $$ (& time) well spent.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:34 AM
rqf

If you tour OSJ you should visit the Fort. OSJ is 10 minutes from your hotel.

En Yunque is about 25 miles from the hotel. Will take close to an hour to get there- lots of traffic.

The Caves are more than 50 miles from your hotel. Will take at least 1 1/2 hours.

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM

My wife and I are visiting PR and Vieques in January. First time Vieques but we've seen a lot of PR in the past. How possible is it to rent a car at the airport and get on the cargo ferry to Vieques. I don't feel like spending another $350 for a round trip flight to Vieques. I've diven all over the Island in the past
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM

The Ferry is unpredictable & difficult to get your car on. I've never heard anyone say a good thing about taking a car over. Easier to fly over & rent one there...
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM

As SAnParis said, it is difficult to get onto the car ferry to Vieques. You need to reserve a space a couple of weeks ahead, andyou can still be bumped if they feel something else is more important.

Look into renting a car on Vieques for a day or so. Will be cheaper.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Also, look into flying from Isla Grande rather than SJU. Last March a round trip ticket from Isla Grande to Vieques cost me $152/person on Vieques Air Link.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Car on Ferry is a BAD idea. It is more expensive but you can do a one-day rental in the little island while your regular rental is parked in Fajardo.

sra141, I am not sure if any of the hotels is offering tours to the Camuy caverns. You can call the hotel concierge for info on tours.

OJS is packed with bars and lounges. Just walk around San Sebastian or Fortaleza streets.