Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where can we find a beach in Bermuda that is not rocky ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-can-we-find-a-beach-in-bermuda-that-is-not-rocky-533730/)

seetheworld Jun 2nd, 2005 01:01 PM

Where can we find a beach in Bermuda that is not rocky ?

For years we were spoiled by the soft, pink and very swimmable beach at Castle Harbour. But as lovers of Bermuda know, it no longer exists. We have been to the Fairmont Princess as well as Ariel Sands in Bermuda and both beaches were rocky and not ideal for swimming.

My DH wants to return later this summer but is determined to find a hotel with a beach that is reminiscent of the Castle Harbour beach with no rocks and only soft sand under foot.

Any suggestions?

By the way, anyone recently stay at the 9Beaches? Our feeling is that we would encounter a rocky beach there just by its location.

Thanks for your help :D

seetheworld Jun 3rd, 2005 12:35 PM

No smooth and sandy beaches, anyone?

sp Jun 3rd, 2005 12:56 PM

Pompano Beach Resort has a huge sandbar which is crystal-clear, no rocks and waist-deep for a few hundred yards out. It really is like being in a gigantic swimming pool. Have a look at pompano.bm and reviews on tripadvisor.com for amazing reviews. It is a very romantic spot and we always counting the days to return.

RobertoB Jun 3rd, 2005 01:33 PM

Just east of Pompano is another beach with a sandy bottom, Whale Bay beach. Very small intimate beach.

abram Jun 3rd, 2005 08:06 PM

As I recell, Elbow Beach Hotel had a very nice beach.

penny Jun 4th, 2005 05:06 AM

Elbow Beach is wide, soft sand, one of the best beaches on the island. Was the old Castle Harbor Beach the one by the mid ocean club or shell beach. I am assuming the "new" Tuckers Point Club is using the old hotel beach. It will be a few years until they build
that part of the project. Elbow Beach is also close to Hamilton, and other
South Road Beaches.

cmcfong Jun 4th, 2005 04:57 PM

Horseshoe Bay is lovely and public.

seetheworld Jun 5th, 2005 04:53 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes, the once Castle Harbour beach will now be part of the Tuckers Point Club -- it was such a nice beach.

We have been to Horseshoe Bay Beach and it is lovely but we would like a rock free beach that also has a hotel attached to the property :) .

In addition to a sandy, rock-free beach, we are looking for a hotel property that has been updated relatively recently. How is the Elbow Beach hotel property? I heard it was remodeled, is that true?

tamryn Jun 5th, 2005 06:29 PM

My memory may be faulty, but I have stayed at the Pink Beach Club twice and I remember the beach as very nice. Also I know they have said they have done a lot of renovation recently. Check it out!

cmcfong Jun 6th, 2005 03:45 AM

The Reefs may, check the website. The new Wyndham does.

tmemedia Jun 6th, 2005 08:05 AM

I've visited Bermuda many times and find that the old Sonesta new Wyndham has two lovely very swimmable beaches. One has a long sandbar -- you can walk for about 50 yards and the water still only hits your knees.
The other beach, Cross Bay Beach, is in deeper water, with great waves for boogie boarding. No rocks, very soft sand, very clear water.

seetheworld Jun 9th, 2005 05:38 AM

The new Wyndham looks great (they are running a special right now). I especially love the looks of the pool. There doesn't appear to be any waves at the beach for boggie boarding but we could always take a trip to Horseshoe Bay for the day.